A PLACE TO BELONG...

Elena's POV (a few minutes later in the USA, the DIC headquarters, LA)

When Jake opened his office door, we quietly walked through the hallways of the headquarters. However, it wasn't an awkward silence, but a peaceful atmosphere that allowed us to think about the craziness around. We didn't need to go downstairs because our goal was to reach a few closed, dark doors...

Jake: Well then... - He stood in front of the door, took a deep breath, and nodded slightly - I'll show you a few available offices, but I already know which option you'll choose.

Elena: With all due respect, Mr. Danford, but I don't think you know me that well to guess my preferences - I smiled proudly.

Jake: I must warn you, because I enjoy such challenges, Miss McClain - He returned the proud smile and opened the door with his badge.

He softly pushed the door, signaling me to enter. Stepping further inside, I had a chance to carefully observe the first office and thoroughly analyze its interior...

 Stepping further inside, I had a chance to carefully observe the first office and thoroughly analyze its interior

Elena: Nah, I don't like it - A slight grimace appeared on my face - It's too...

Jake: Too dark, too boring, too subdued, too somber, too harmonious? - He lightly stroked his chin, looking around with his proud smile.

As I looked around, I noticed him, and my eyebrows slightly scrunched up while my mouth opened a little. I couldn't help but let out a quiet exhale. The moment I entered, those exact thoughts rushed through my mind. This office doesn't match my style at all, it's so dark, dull, and just plain sad. What he said felt like he read my mind...

Jake: Seems like someone's speechless here, don't you think? - He crossed his arms as our eyes met.

Elena: Nah, it was about the carpet - I said without hesitation as I started heading back towards the door.

Jake: The carpet? - He raised an eyebrow slightly and chuckled as he followed me with his eyes - What's wrong with the carpet?

Elena: Looks like I was right, as always, and you don't know me as well as you thought, Mr. Danford - I crossed the threshold, smiling proudly and lifting my head high - I hate carpets - I turned my head towards him and began to whisper - The only thing they're good for is storing dirt, dust, and remnants of your inflated ego.

Upon hearing those words, Jake let out a soft breath, and his head slightly lowered and then tilted upward, revealing that the comment had stabbed his ego profoundly...

Jake: You know what? I'm not a fan of carpets either - After a moment, he glanced at me - They might provide a man with a soft surface, but in return, that fucking dirt gets into...

Elena: These doors probably lead to the second office, right? - I nervously chuckled and stood in front of the next set of doors, interrupting his sentence.