THE MEETING WITH JOE KING

Elena's POV (a few hours later in the USA, the DIC headquarters surroundings, LA)

Elena: Well... - I sighed and stood up after a few hours of chatting - It was nice, but I should finally get my ass to work.

Olivia: You're right - She also got up and brushed off some grass - But we have to do this again, definitely.

Elena: The boss never sleeps - I whispered and gestured slightly towards the window in Jake's office at the top of the building - I bet he's already ordered a bigger carpet for reprimands about slacking during work hours.

A subtle laughter resonated between us as the others also began to gather and head towards the building. Well, I still have plenty of time before 3 PM, so I have a moment to return to my office and organize all thoughts and notes coherently before Joe appears at my door...

As we entered the building, the corridor came back to life with conversations and movement that had been absent for several long hours due to everyone being outside. Just as the others began to head to their desks or offices, I headed towards the stairs. However, the sound of a notification suddenly made me stop and look at my phone...

Elena: Oho, it was fun while it lasted - I raised my eyebrows and took a deep breath - Well, he lasted quite a while anyway

Elena: Oho, it was fun while it lasted - I raised my eyebrows and took a deep breath - Well, he lasted quite a while anyway. I was sure he'd fire me earlier.

Then, I put my phone back in my pocket. As my fingers touched the stairwell doorknob, I started going up, although I have to admit, I wasn't in much of a hurry. Usually, I climb these steps in a few moments, but this time, all my attention was focused on every existing detail around me – even the cobwebs in the corners – just to delay the moment of confrontation with Jake...

My thoughts were in disarray, because I had no idea what to expect. Just a few hours earlier, everything was fine – what could have happened in the meantime? Especially since I had been outside the whole time, far away from him? Could the issue be those breaks in the courtyard with his employees? The first time I did that, he wasn't in the office – maybe he noticed our meeting and didn't like it? I don't know, but there's something oddly unsettling in the tone of his last message...

When I finally reached the top floor and stood in front of his office door, I swallowed slightly and looked distrustfully at the doorknob. Honestly, I'm much more stressed now than the first time I had to enter his office, seriously. Only after a few uncertain breaths and a few good slaps on my own cheeks did I manage to calm down enough to reach for the doorknob and slowly cross the threshold of his office...

As I timidly peeked my head from behind the door, cautiously scanning the room with my eyes, I noticed that Jake was standing by the window, facing the landscape. He was focused, deeply lost in thought, gently massaging his chin. Well, there's the rub – of course, I was right about him catching me gossiping with other employees outside. I have a feeling that in a few moments, the Director himself will personally serve me one-way ticket outside, but through the window in front of which he's standing...