THE PACT WITH THE DEVIL

Elena's POV (A few hours later in the USA, Elena's apartment in the DIC, LA)

I felt the sound of my ringtone piercing the silence, waking me up from sleep. Struggling to gather myself, I reluctantly opened my eyes and reached for the phone that was trembling on the nightstand next to my bed...

Elena: Hello? - I mumbled, still half asleep, with my face pressed against the pillow.

Lilly: Elena, where the hell are you? - I heard her worried voice - Mrs. Walter told me that you submitted your resignation at around midnight!

Elena: I'm sorry, Lilly - I sighed and sat up in bed, finally fully awake - I just didn't want to bother you in the middle of the night, and...

Lilly: You have one minute to explain everything to me, Elena - She said with a firm tone.

Elena: So, yesterday, as I was getting ready for bed, I heard a knock... - I started hesitantly - At first, I thought it was you guys, deciding to pay me a visit after Dan's party. But when I opened the door, instead of a drunk Dan and Jessy barely standing on their feet, I saw Jake...

Lilly: What?! - She shouted so loudly into my ear that I had to move the phone away for a moment.

Elena: He wanted to talk about us... - I brought the phone back to my ear - Well, at first, I didn't want to let him in, but he was too stubborn and determined to have that "serious conversation"... - I smiled and made a quote gesture - Of course, at first, everything was going smoothly, and I managed to play the "I've moved on" role, but his persistence led us to an argument - I nervously chuckled and started scratching my head - You know, I told him how I feel about him now - I sighed - In the end, when I told him I knew nothing about him, he reached out his hand and introduced himself.

Lilly: He did a what excuse me? - She laughed, sounding disoriented - Are you sure you're okay?

Elena: And that's how he started his game - I smiled, playing with the blanket - He introduced himself as the CEO of a corporation and said he had talked to his colleagues about my crucial influence in his case. Then he offered me a job...

Lilly: He offered you a fucking job?! - She shouted again, this time with an enthusiastic smile.

Elena: I thought I had nothing to lose, so I packed my things, and I'm at DIC now - I shrugged and looked around the room.

Lilly: Fuck, I can't believe it... - I heard her shocked laughter - That sneaky asshole is really good. You do realize he won't give up so easily, right?

Elena: I'm aware of that, which is why I wanted to give it a try - I smiled lightly and started drawing circles on the bedsheet with my finger.

Lilly: You're right, Elena - I heard her deep breath combined with relief - If this doesn't work out, and both of you decide it's not worth it, at least you'll know you tried, and you won't have any "what if" thoughts, just... - She sighed sadly - Please, tell me about such things earlier. I was so worried because I was convinced someone kidnapped you again and used your phone to send the resignation.

Elena: I'm sorry, Lilly - I laughed - I was actually planning to call you today anyway.

Lilly: What about Duskwood?

Elena: That's still my home, Lilly - I shrugged - Duskwood is my place. As soon as I have some free time, I'll visit, but you know, I started to feel like... - I sighed and trailed off, looking sadly out the window.