ROULETTE OF SACRIFICE

Elena's POV (A few moments later in the USA, the FBI headquarters, LA)

As I cautiously pushed open the door to Anthony's office and peered inside, I prepared myself for just about anything but was met with a scene far from what I expected. There was no grisly massacre, no severed limbs adorning the walls, and no lingering smoke from an explosion. Instead, I found Anthony and Jake seated in the exact same positions I had left them, but instead of a heated argument or physical altercation, they were locked in an intense eyesight fight...

Both had their arms crossed, and their eyes engaged in a fierce and unyielding battle of wills, their furious gazes locked onto each other. It was a tense moment, but I couldn't help but think that this silent standoff was a far more preferable outcome than having to clean up after a physical altercation...

Elena: So... - I entered the office and closed the door behind - I see it actually wasn't that hard - I moved on to the table.

Anthony: Criminal - He muttered angrily.

Jake: Gilbert's servant - He muttered back.

Elena: Great, since you two finally buried the hatchet for a while, I think we can start - I sat down on the chair next to Jake and smiled - So, where's Maria's equipment?

Anthony: As I promised, you will get everything you want - He sighed and shifted his gaze from Jake to me - But before that, we need to talk, Elena.

From the corner of my eye, I caught Jake leaning forward and opening his mouth, likely preparing to interject with his thoughts. Swiftly, I intervened by pressing my heel against his boot, signaling to him to abandon the idea of inserting himself into the conversation...

Elena: Sure - I smiled again as I placed my mug and my hands on the table - I'm all ears.

Anthony: Why did you decide to take care of Maria's case? - He rubbed his chin.

Elena: I should ask you why you stopped looking for your own employee, which made Joe King contact a private detective agency, Anthony - I responded quickly, keeping my gaze fixed on him - I could somehow understand your decision if she was some stranger, in which case prioritizing more important issues would be reasonable. However, I'm sorry, but I can't even begin to fathom why you gave up on an employee who has sacrificed over 20 years of service for you and received so many honors that her portrait graces the wall of your corridor - I emphasised firmly before taking a sip of coffee.

Anthony: It's not as easy as it sounds - He sighed and averted his gaze - If it were up to me, I'd never stop searching for her. However, my hands are tied due to my subordination to the President. The rule is easy, if there's not a single clue about the missing person for more than a month, the priority of the case diminishes, and we have to take care of other things.

Jake: That's exactly why I'm making Scrooge McDuckin', while you have bend over backwards to meet your boss's expectations - He folded his hands behind his head - But thanks to that, there have been a lot of people like Joe in my company who were brutally left to their fate by you.

Anthony: Like I said... - He rolled his eyes and looked at me again - There's not even a single clue of her. We checked her house, her jogging route, her equipment, her office, everything - He shrugged - There's nothing, she disappeared into thin air.

Elena: Well, you also spent years looking for Jake, being sure it was actually impossible to catch him. Yet, it took me only a week to find him in your boss's basement, right? - I smiled proudly, so as Jake.

Anthony: This time is different, mainly because Danford left a lot of clues for you in the meantime which helped you a lot in finding him - He shrugged again - In this case, there's nothing. Maria was in an enormous forest with nothing, so we can't locate her by her phone or the FBI transmitter she always wears for work. It's like looking for a needle in a haystack.