157.

"Oh, isn't Eddy coming today?" the always positive nurse asked as she drew back the curtains in his room. He had slept past breakfast, and she had come to check on him and to give him his pill.
"No he uh.. Had some stuff he had to do...", Brett lied, pulling the duvet over his head to block out the light.

"Well well, no need to spend the day in bed anyway. Maybe you can play some violin today? You haven't touched it all week."
Brett peeked out from under the duvet and onto his violin case that Eddy had brought for the first visit.
"Maybe", he said. "Thanks for waking me."
"That was no trouble at all. I'll lesve your medication here, okay?" she said, setting the pill and the glass of water on his bedside table as he put on his glasses. He nodded.
"Thanks."

As soon as the nurse left, Brett reached for the pill and found the little plastic bag under the mattress and dropped the pill into it. He had gathered quite a few now, and he quickly stuffed them back under the mattress. Then he reached out and took a sip of the water, making it look like he had taken it. Not that anybody would check, but might as well just in case.

His phone lit up with a text message. He checked the notification, and it was from Eddy of course.

Nobody actually cares about you, he's just checking on you out of pity.

"Shut up", Brett mumbled and opened the message.

10:33 Eddy: Good morning, beautiful ❤️

Brett stared at the message, feeling a tiny smile form on his lips. That was until he remembered that Eddy could have been there with him instead of just having to text. A ball of guilt started to brew in his stomach, but the voice was having none of that.

You're doing what's best for him. He deserves to not have to see your needy ass.

Brett sighed, knowing the voice was right. Eddy was better off like this. Just help him realize it's better like this, and everything will be fine.

Meanwhile, Eddy sat at home staring at his phone. Did they organize something Brett had to participate in instead of visitation? It was unlike Brett to not reply, and he had to be up for breakfast at nine, right?

Eddy jumped when his phone rang, not expecting Brett to call. He answered without checking the caller ID.
"Hey Eddy! How are you?" he heard Mike say in the other end, and Eddy's excitement from a moment before disappeared like dew in the sun.
"Hi Mike. Kinda alright, I guess", Eddy mumbled, looking down at his hand. The golden ring was still faithfully resting around his ring finger, and since he never took it off it had lost bit of its shine. Eddy still loved it all the same, though.

"Just kinda alright? Want to talk about it?" Mike asked, sounding worried.
"I really shouldn't. Brett doesn't like me seeing you", Eddy hesitated, touching his ring with the thumb on the same hand. "Everything kinda went south when we met you at the bar."
"Brett doesn't have to know if you don't want him to. You should be taking care of yourself, you know."

Eddy nodded a bit to himself. That was what Brett said, that he should take care of himself.
"I can come to your office, if you have time today", Eddy suggested, biting his lip. "I had to cancel some plans today anyway."
"Oh, actually I have today off. We can meet somewhere, though, if you want?"
"Like as friends?" Eddy asked, getting somewhat nervous at the thought. Mike was gis therapist... Or was he his friend?
"Yeah, if you want? Or we can meet tomorrow at my office, if you're more comfortable with that, of course. I just want to help you feel better."

Eddy hesitated, still fumbling with the ring on his finger. If Brett found out, would he try to kill himself again? He couldn't risk that, but at the same time it would be such a relief to get to talk to someone without worrying about making everything worse. Brett wouldn't find out anyway, would he?
"Y... You can come to my place, if that's alright with you?" Eddy suggested, scratching the back of his head. "I can make some coffee."