104.

Brett hadn't been expecting to feel as nervous as he did as they listened to the ringing through the tiny loudspeakers on his phone. He reached for Eddy's hand, and he took it instinctively. He heard the familiar click of his mom picking up the phone.
"Hello?" he said, to the phone, waiting for a reply for a second.
"Ah, Brett! Hello! How are you, son?" his mom replied in the other end, and Brett tightened his grip on Eddy's hand.
"I'm fine, very fine actually. How are you, mom?" His voice was more shaky shaky than he liked, but he calmed down slightly feeling Eddy rub his thumb on his hand. It would be fine, it had to be fine.
"Why did you not call before, huh? Need to remember your mom, Brett. Family is important!" Brett couldn't help but smile a bit. He knew that family was important, especially to his mom, which is why he hadn't been worried about what she would say before he made the phone call. 
"I'm sorry, mom, I promise to call more often", Brett said, smiling up at Eddy who sat next to him on the bed. "But mom, I have something I need to tell you, which is why I called." 
"What is it, son?" his mom replied, a bit worried. "Are you sick?" Brett laughed a bit before assuring his mom that everything was fine.
"No, it's something good, mom. Uh, Eddy and I kinda got engaged earlier."
The silence in the other end of the line was intense until they heard the breaking of glass through the phone.
"I'm sorry Brett, I have to go", his mom said before quickly hanging up.

Brett stared at his phone for a few seconds, not really sure how to respond.
Get ready for a life without your family, Bretty, because you fucked up real bad now.
Eddy reached out and placed his arm around Brett's shoulders.
"Someone probably just dropped something, and she had to deal with that. Just call her back later, or tomorrow." Eddy tried to sound positive, but in the back of his mind he was panicking. He knew sort of what to say if his own parents didn't accept it, but he had no idea what to do about Brett's parents not accepting them.
"Y...yeah..." Brett stuttered before clearing his throat. "That's... yeah, that's probably it... yes." He wasn't sure if he was trying to convince himself or Eddy at this point. Eddy pulled Brett into a tight hug.
"It's going to be fine, Brett", he mumbled, kissing the top of his head. He wasn't actually sure of his own words. It was more a hope than a fact.
"Yeah, totally", Brett mumbled, taking off his glasses and hiding his face in Eddy's chest.
"Bretty, your hands are shaking", Eddy commented, and Brett hadn't realized that was the case until Eddy pointed it out. He looked down at his hands, trying to will them to stop shaking. He couldn't.
"Oh, yeah. You're right", he mumbled, trying to put his glasses back on but almost stabbed his eye out instead. Eddy took his glasses from him and carefully put them on him.
"Talk to me", Eddy said, looking into his eyes. "You're scared?"
Brett nodded quietly, looking down at his still shaking hands.
"It's stupid, I thought I would be fine if they didn't accept it..." he mumbled quietly.
"You still don't know if they accepted it, though", Eddy tried to point out, but was only met with a sarcastic laugh.
"Sure, as if hanging up after hearing that wasn't confirmation enough", Brett replied, a lot sharper than he intended. Eddy flinched slightly, but realized Brett probably was just distressed.
"I'm sorry it turned out like that", he sighed, not really sure what else to say to comfort Brett. He looked down at his ring again.

"At least I know YOUR mom loves me", Brett mumbled sarcastically, trying to lighten his own mood without it really having any effect.
"She really does", Eddy confirmed, taking Brett's hand again. "If it is as you think, that they don't accept it, it's not like you won't have a family, okay? We will be family and then my family will be your family." Brett looked up at him. "I mean, they are practically your family already." 
Brett smiled a tiny smile.
"I guess", he said, actually feeling slightly better. "Unless she becomes a monster-in-law now that we're engaged, because I'm not about to deal with that."
Eddy snorted, trying not to laugh.
"You really think mom have the potential of being a monster-in-law?"
Brett didn't even try to hold back his laugh now.
"I mean, she IS an asian mom..." he said, grinning at Eddy, who responded by playfully punching his arm.
"Hey now, that's my MOTHER you're talking about", Eddy said, jokingly offended.
"Okay, okay, sorry sorry!" Brett laughed and kissed Eddy quickly. "But if she does become a monster-in-law, I'm not coming for christmas dinner."