Broken Vow: Goodbye My Tender Light

Start from the beginning

Sneering, Deku was becoming agitated with the boy's slow grow of hysteria. "You're getting on my--"

"I don't give a damn if you're me! You're telling me my best friend dies in the future!" He wasn't having it, and Izuku wasn't sure where they gained such attitude, but this...this was horrible!

"Near."

"What?" His face slowly lost his healthy color. Paling as if his blood slowly drained from his face.

"Near future. I won't tell you the damn specific time, but she'll die eventually."

"...You're lying..." Nighteye's voice returned in his consciousness. Repeating, repeating. How he wanted it to stop. He finally accepted that he'll change Koyuki's future, but here is his future-self. Confirming his efforts were in vain.

Unfazed with the teen's low voice of denial, "I'm not lying--"

"YOU'RE LYING!!" Interrupting them from his outburst. Clear denial and desperation to reject this news of the future. Eyes stinging from the coming tears.

"You're saying that out of disbelief. Don't believe, I don't care..." For once, Izuku finally saw something that's not fury in those jade's, unbridled determination. "But I'm going to save her."

Like the feeling of plunging cold waters and freezing in its current; Izuku stood frozen. Hearing this from the man himself, they weren't stating Koyuki death as a joke, but a fact. They were here in the past for a reason and it was to change their future. The question that he dreaded the most was what happened that motivated them to come to the past in the first place. "How did she die...?" Clenching his hands at Izuku's meek question. Deku bit his bottom lip harshly, but the smidge look of pain showed bit of emotion other than anger. 'He'll know it either way...'

"...They stabbed her..." At this, Izuku stepped back; as if a great force pushed him. Utter horror and disbelief read on his face from Deku's revelation. The man only continued even knowing Izuku held clear and open devastation on their face, "They stabbed her right in front of me." Clenching his fist tightly over his sweatshirt, hearing the material clench. "She was bleeding in my arms. I couldn't do anything, I wanted to run-- take her quickly to the hospital. But--" Jade's viciously glared into emeralds. "She wanted to stay in my arm's. She knew she was dying. She knew! So she didn't want to die alone and asked me stay by her side. Apologizing for a selfish wish! Dammit!!" Fingers gripping into their long curls, almost to the point of ripping them off their roots. Utter frustration from the memories they wanted to repress only came barreling in like a hurricane. "If anything... I was selfish on that day. I wanted to hold her close, reassure myself she wasn't leaving my side again. But she...After the war...after everything! I was the selfish one! And you know it!!"

Izuku almost tripping back at Deku's upset bellow, not understanding what they meant. War? What war?! What happened in the future?

"You know it, because you see it!! Every day! Wake up, kid! We're reminded she's not from our world, yet everyone loves her." Their tense jaw slackened, seeming to be defeat. Defeated from the loss of someone close to them. "Even us."

The late afternoon winds blew against their curls, revealing a single orb exhaustion while the other held mortified shock. Filling the dreaded silence between the past and future, until the man spoke up once more. "There's those who deeply love her... And yet, I just wanted to be the last one who holds her...Before her damn government took her body away and declared her a worthy member of wizard saints." Almost spitting out angrily at the mention of the wizard government of Fiore, jaw clenching. But Izuku could see the clear pain in his future-self's eye. Especially how their shoulders slumped in defeat, seeming to relive the memory of that fateful day. "From that day, I never got to visit her grave..." Their scarred hand shakenly reached up to their collar, gripping it tightly. Almost an attempt to control themselves-- their breathing. "That, was my selfish wish. Yet, she called hers selfish."