Problems from the Past

Jason- "Mom I'm going out!" you tell while throwing your bag over your shoulder and grabbing your car keys.

"Wait, where are you going? Dinners gonna be ready in like 20 minutes!" she yells from the kitchen.

"I don't know out." you mutter while exiting your house. You loved your house but there was just something about it that didn't make it feel like home. Your parents adopted you when you were just a baby and it didn't really start affecting you until just a couple years ago.

You started feeling worthless, unwanted, useless and like a burden. Of course you consider your adoptive parents your real parents but do they consider you their child? Jason tries his best to help you and in a lot of ways, he does.

You arrive at his house and he lets you in, kissing your cheek before guiding you to the couch. "Everything alright?" he asks while putting his arm around your shoulder. You nod, not saying anything.

"Wait, isn't in like dinner time?" he asks. You relax back into his chest and sigh.

"Don't feel like being home." you mumble simply. You can feel Jason shift beside you and you look back at him, sadness filling your eyes.

"How come?" he asks, making you turn around to face him. He furrows his eyebrows, waiting for you to explain you not wanting to be at home.

"They don't want me right?" you ask while biting your lip and nodding. Jason looks confused and you continue to talk. "My parents. They don't really want me but here I am. I'm like a burden." you explain in a hushed tone.

"Why would you say that?" he asks, brushing a piece of hair away from your face. "Y/N.." he says softly, waiting for your response.

"I mean, my biological parents obviously didn't want me and now my adoptive parents probably don't want me either." you explained, your voice soft and cracking every couple of words. Being a teenager is hard enough for anyone, but feeling like this? Nobody should have to feel like this.

"Y/N, don't think that. Your adoptive parents, your actual parents want you. That's why they adopted you. Please, don't think that because I hate seeing you like this. You don't deserve to feel this way. You're not worthless or a burden. Far from it." Jason reassures you. Although it should be reassuring and it slightly is, it's not fully assuring you.

You'll still feel this way but eventually it will pass. "You think so?" you ask him, blinking back tears.

"Of course. You're loved Y/N. By me, by your parents, by everyone who has met you. You're loved." he says while kissing your forehead. He leaves his lips against your skin and it makes you feel warm and secure. It makes you feel that although sometimes you don't feel like you have a home, Jason will always be your home.

Mike- You smile, looking at a picture of you and your mom when you were around 10. She was so beautiful. She was your bestfriend. Was.

Two years ago, your mom got sick and died. It was fast. She was only sick for about a month before she left. It was hard for your whole family but especially you. It took a major toll on you physically, mentally and emotionally.

You were on your way to Mike's to hang out. He's one of the only reasons you haven't offed yourself to be honest. In the very beginning it was brutal and it took everything for him to get you out of bed. About a year after she died, there was still days when all you did was cry but he was right there. Now, two years later, there's days when it feels like there's no point but Mike is there and ready to love and hold you until the day is over.

Mike opened the door just after you knocked and you gave him a small smile. He pulls you into a hug, kissing the side of your temple. "Hi baby." he whispers.

"Hi." you mumble back.

"Break it up you two." his mom says from the living room. You laugh and pull away and smile at her. Sure, nobody could ever take the place of your mom but Mike's mom was really nice and understanding. Your mom always gave you advice, always and she was almost always right but now she's not here and you always have questions about you and Mike and you're constantly confused about what to do.

"Let's go upstairs." Mike says while taking your hand. You nod but his mom stops you.

"Can I talk to you for a minute Y/N?" You stop and look back at her, you give a nod to Mike and sit on the couch next to her. She smiles and looks at you for a couple of seconds before starting to speak.

"Y/N, I know that your mom and you were bestfriends and I know that I can't take the place of her and I'm not trying to but I wanted to tell you something. My son, he's in love with you. I see it all the time. From the way his eyes light up when you text him or how protective he is of you and I want you to know that everything's alright. I was your age once and I had a ton of questions and you can always come to me okay?" she explains. You look at her for awhile before smiling and hugging her.

"Thank you." you whisper.

You walk upstairs to Mike and see him laying down on his bed, looking at his phone. You were so overwhelmed by Mike's moms kindness that you just burst into tears right then and there. Mike stands up and walks over to you.

"What's wrong baby?" he asks while hugging you tightly.

"I love you. You know that right? I love you and you protect me and love me and make sure I'm okay and I love you alright?" you cry.

"I love you too." he laughs slightly while rubbing your back. "I love you too."

Caleb- All you heard was the yelling. The yelling that you remembered all too familiar from years ago with your dad. The yelling that forever imprinted it's effect on you in the years to come.

You and Caleb had gotten into a fight and he began to raise his voice. He knew about your past, your dad and the abuse and he helped you through it. He did whatever he had to to make you feel safe and protected.

But now, this fight, this fight brought you back to when you were younger and more naive. It brought you back to those nights your dad would come home drunk and your mom would lock you in your room while she put herself into harms way.

"Please stop yelling." you mutter while Caleb continues to yell, not hearing you. You look down at your feet, trying to dissolve into the floor. You nervously fumbled with your fingers while trying to control your breathing. "Caleb, please." you whimper. He continues yelling and by this point, you don't even know what about.

He raises his voice even louder and you flinch, holding your hand up to protect yourself from the blow that didn't even happen. The yelling finally stopped and you peered up at him, tears streaking your face. "You thought I was gonna hit you?" he asks quietly, his expression softening.

"T-the yelling just fucks with my head sometimes." you mumble while getting your breathing under control and wiping your face.

"I'm so sorry." he apologizes, genuineness showing. "I shouldn't have kept yelling or started in the first place. I-I know it scares you and I knew that and I'm so sorry." he says.

"It's fine. It's fine. Thanks for apologizing."

"Come here." he says while opening his arms. You walk over and let him envelope you into his arms. He kisses the top of your head while hugging you tightly, letting you know your safe and that he'll never hurt you.