Finding Something That Reminds You of Him

Y/D/N- your daughters name

Jason- "Y/D/N, can you hand me that box?" you ask your daughter. You were unloading boxes considering you just moved.

Your daughter, who was a spitting image of you, handed you the box. That's what most people said when they saw the two of you. Your hair, the way you walk, almost everything. But, she had one thing from her father. Her eyes. Her eyes we're exactly like Jason's. From the way they sparkled when she was happy or the way they were glossed over and empty when she was sad. They've been pretty empty lately.

She hands you the box and a picture falls out. Your daughter gasps slightly at the two people in the picture. Jason and you.

"That's dad?" she asks for certainty. You nod while keeping your gaze fixed on the wrinkled and slightly torn picture. For awhile you are caught in a daze.

"Uhm," you start snapping out of it. "-go get a shower. We'll talk after." you tell her. Reluctantly she gets up and takes a shower and you climb into your bed and wait for her. The picture, still resting in between your fingers causes tears to form in your eyes.

During your pregnancy Jason was involved in a car accident and died. It was terrible. He was all you had. He would have been a great dad. He was so excited to be a father.

Yore daughter then walks into your room and you quickly wipe away the stray tears. Y/D/N climbs onto the bed with you and you examines the picture. It was a Polaroid. You were kissing his cheek while he had his eyes squinted and your hair was a mess and so was his but it was love.

"How old were you guys?" she asks.

"About 17." you answer. You glance at her and she's smiling down at the picture.

"You know," you start while handing her the picture. "Your dad was was selfless. He had his problems you know? We talked about that, his alcoholism. But he would do anything for anyone Y/N. I think that's where you get it." you smile.

"When I got pregnant with you, he was ecstatic. He could not wait. He would have been such a great dad. When I got that call, I rushed to the hospital but I was too late. The nurse told me the last thing he said was Y/D/N. He said your name. We had been coming up with a few names but that was his favorite." you explain.

Y/D/N has a tear rolling down her cheek and it makes one roll down yours. "He loved you so much. So much baby girl." you tell her. She bids and you give her a hug. You take the picture and turn it over to find a small paragraph.

"What's that?" she wonders.

You read...
From the moment I met you I knew I was going to be with you forever. I want you to save this picture. When we get older and have a kid I want you to show them this picture. Because when our child is going through something or they're unhappy you can show them this picture where there is nothing but happiness. I love you Y/N, I love you and I won't stop loving you until the day I die. Not even then.
-Jason

You turn to Y/D/N and she is crying now.

"Don't cry. This is something we can remember him by. Don't cry." you whisper.

Mike- Y/D/N has been going through a rough breakup so it isn't unusual to walk into her room and find her crying. Some people say it's unreasonable or she's being melodramatic but you don't. You know what it's like to be completely in love and have it not work out.

"Y/D/N, follow me." you tell your daughter. She looks up from her tear stained pillow and drops her head back down.

"I don't wanna." she mumbles.