Day 51 - Mental Health Unit

M E N T A L  H E A L T H  U N I T

D A Y 5 1

You know I want to help people...and you know I love mental health...I was watching a prison show today, and of course there's a lot of people in there that are messed up. I feel so bad, because I feel as if they're not getting treated correctly, or perhaps there's a servere lack of mental health professionals in the prison sector. I know what you would say...you would say it was dangerous, and not worth it, and you would tell me the story of that person your mom knew who got stalked by a prisoner... but I think I'll be okay.  I know I'll be safe, I only want to help people. Am I scared? A little bit, yes. I'm sure a job in a hospital would be much less stressful...and some might say that working in a correctional with prisoners is a lost cause. I want to make the world a better place, and what better place to start then where people go when they've lost everything?  I don't know, maybe I'm just crazy. I really do want to try...

I understand there's a lot of creeps in the prison system, of course. They can't be all bad! Maybe they're just misunderstood!  I understand that in the future, when I have a family, it wouldn't be the best career to have...but while I'm young and single, I want to try. Of course if any of my friends or perhaps my boyfriend even are extremely worried about me, I would quit. I think I should look around and try different jobs before just settling in on one thing. If anything even slightly alarming happens, I'd leave immediately. I just want to try something out of my comfort zone, you know? I'd like to consider myself a strong person...I mean, I know I'm tiny, and short...but I bet I could take one of those big guys if I hit them in the right spot!