To The Brink

~Host Sans

For once. For once this whole time, it changed. The nightmare, for once it was different. For the better or the worst, I don't know yet.

When Dust approached me, rather than yelling at me then promptly killing me, he started a normal conversation. Saying that it wasn't so bad. Wondering why he wasn't yelling at me would come later.

He was talking about being possessed by Fresh, that "it wasn't so bad?" He was lying, but why? There was no reason for him to spare my feelings, I already knew that he hated me.

After a long time of staring, I finally asked him why he wasn't yelling at me. He seemed surprised that this was the first thing I asked him. He responded with an unneeded apology and said that he was safe with Fresh. I already knew that the reason I felt safer was being blocked from the outside world and those who I had wronged in some way, but Dust couldn't have sunken so deeply this quickly, could he?

He said that there were people that wanted to kill him when he was being used as some kind of animal and that Fresh kept them from realizing who he was. He let out a laugh when describing other's torture, watching Dust lose himself even for a tiny moment made me feel even more guilty than I already did.

Suddenly, I felt chills running down my spine, something was here, but I couldn't see a thing through the darkness. Dust grabbed me and began to stutter an talk, I couldn't really tell what he was saying, after a moment or so, he just began to stutter that he was sorry over and over again until...

A dark tentacle shot through the dark, yet it was somehow darker than our surroundings, impaling Dust. I looked on seeing Nightmare's whole body emerging, I was frozen from a mixture of shock and fear. I couldn't find the strength to say anything until I finally blurted out WHY in a frantic tone. Nightmare laughed, talking about connecting the two dreams, just so he could do this.

He threw Dust down onto the dark ground, as he dissipated into some kind of liquid-like material and shot into Dust, Nightmare had taken control of Dust.

He got up from his spot and smiled wide, he turned to look at me, and that was the only thing I remember clearly seeing. He sprung towards me and pinned me down. I closed my eyes and I dare not open them again out of fear of what I would see. I felt multiple sharp pains dotting my body, so fast and so quick. Like tiny pins at first, until they escalated into the feeling of my bones cracking and breaking. I felt a final pinprick at the top of my skull.

I woke up with my breath quick, hugging myself out of fear, yet I was still in the dark, still in this nightmare, with Dust right in front of me. There was a sound of loud laughing that began to dissipate after what felt like a long time, the sound echoed into my skull as I tried to get the dreaded sound out.

Once it had ended, I looked around for Nightmare, worrying if he was still here, I was greeted with nothing, just Dust, who was now staring at me. I finally looked down at myself to see that I was shaking, in a dream state, my senses were lowered, but that didn't stop that feeling of pain I felt moments before.

Dust wanted to say something, but he could tell that I wasn't in the best shape to talk, I could hardly calm myself down from the fear, wondering if the part about linking these dreams was real, if this is Dust, what do I even do?

While trying to find the answers out for myself, I looked up to see that Dust had curled into a ball not moving. I reached over to him, but before I could say a word or move another inch, I felt something cut into my back. Almost immediately, as if by some kind of instinct, I went completely limp.

Being possessed by Nightmare was much worse than being possessed by Fresh. The pain was much worse, my entire body felt like it was about to collapse in on itself, the ooze that dripped in me made it so much harder to breathe, yet I was still conscious. What made it worse, was that there was no screen, I looked like I was still in the outside world, yet I could hardly see with the ooze dripping over everything except for one eye that let me see through. Every movement, although it was not my own, seemed like it was me controlling my own body. I saw myself attack Dust as he got up, I tried to assure myself that I wasn't doing it, but the simulation of this horror was too real, with the combination of guilt and pain, I gave in, still in shock, but I could hardly speak because of how much I screamed for the end to no avail.

Every just kept weighing on more and more, getting worse and worse, each form of torture so much worse than the last. It was about to become even more unbearable until...

I woke up, in the real real world. I was so exhausted, but the fear kept me from going back to sleep, although I needed it, I refused to go to sleep, I couldn't take it. There was someone in front of me, maybe two? I don't know... I just kept shaking uncontrollably, my eyes dark and half-open. Someone tried to snap me out of it, gently shaking me, but I couldn't bring myself to move, nor react.