198. Promise Ring Problems & Live Stream Proposals

I've been dating the singer and songwriter Shawn Mendes for a little over three years now, and him and I are so beyond in love. He's the one. He's the one that I want to spend the rest of my life with, and he knows this. About six months into our relationship, he got me a beautiful promise ring. It's rose gold and has a diamond in the middle with other diamonds that are in the shape of leaves around it. I love it. I was sitting on the couch one day when Shawn called me.

"Hi Shawny baby." I said.

"Hi darling. I'm doing a live stream with Andrew right now but I don't have you on speaker. How was your day today?" He asked. I smiled.

"It was good but long. I miss you honey." I said.

"Oh honey I miss you too. I'll be home after I'm on Saturday Night Live, okay?" He asked and I nodded even though he couldn't see me.

"Okay." I said.

"Oh, um, when I get home, let's take your promise ring off." Shawn said. My heart started to race.

"What? Why?" I asked. Did he want me to take it off so he could break up with me and give it to another girl?

"I just want to get it cleaned. We haven't gotten it cleaned in... well, we've never gotten it cleaned and you've been wearing it for almost three years." Shawn said.

"No, it's fine. It doesn't need to be cleaned." I said.

"But baby don't you want it nice and sparkly again? We'll take it off when I get home." He asked and said.

"No, no, no, no. We can't." I said.

"Why babe?" He asked.

"It's a comfort thing. Shawn, you made those promises to me almost three years ago at an IHOP in Toronto. Whenever you're away, and I miss you a lot, I look at it and play with it. Or when I get insecure or feel like I'm not good enough or something like that, I look at it and it reminds me that you love me a lot." I said.

"Okay baby. We'll talk about this more when I get home. Breathe honey." He said.

"No, I don't want to take it off and I don't want to talk about it more at all." I said.

"Okay baby. I love you." He said.

"I love you too." I said.

"I'll talk to you later, okay darling?" He asked.

"Okay." I said, and we hung up. I began pacing around the room. Yes, he said that he loves me, but what if he's actually about to break up with me. That night, I stayed up to watch Shawn on SNL, and then I decided to stay up a bit longer to wait for him to come home, but I would wait for him upstairs in our bedroom. I sat on our bed, took out a book, leaned against the headboard, and began reading.

I remember putting my finger in the book and closing it for a moment. I was tired so I decided to close my eyes for what felt like a minute or two, but I was woken up to the sound of soft chuckles and someone getting into bed with me. I opened my eyes and saw Shawn sitting next to me.

"Hey there darling." He said. I put my bookmark in my book, put the book aside, and put my lips on his. I felt my heart race as if I had just run a marathon, I felt butterflies erupt and fly around in my tummy, and I felt sparks shoot through my body. I pulled away and gave him a tired smile.

"Hi honey." I said.

"You fell asleep while reading again." He said. I laughed and nodded.

"Yeah. Um, can I ask you a question?" I asked as my smile faded.

"Of course Y/n baby, you can ask me anything." Shawn said. Tears formed in my eyes.

"Do you want to take the promise ring off of me so you can break up with me and give it to another girl?" I asked. Shawn's eyes widened as he hugged me.