42. Rose's Worries

Shawn's point of view

I looked at the time: it was two thirty in the morning and I hadn't gotten any sleep. I sighed. I was sitting in my office working on lyrics for my next album. My wife, Y/n Mendes, and all three of my kids, Rose, Jake, and Sarah Grace, were asleep in bed. Or at least that's what I thought. I soon heard someone knocking on my office door, and I instantly thought that it was my wife.

"Come in." I said, and my seventeen, almost eighteen, years old daughter, Rose walked in.

"Hey Daddy. Mind if I come in?" She asked. I shook my head and gestured towards the chair next to my desk.

"Can't sleep sweet pea?" I asked. She shook her head.

"Nope. Not a wink. I'm too worried." She said. I put my pen down and turned to her more.

"What are you worried about?" I asked. She shook her head.

"I don't want to worry you." She said. I shook my head.

"Listen honey, I'm your father, and you're my little girl. I'm always going to be here for you. What's going on honey?" I asked. She sighed.

"I'm worried about all of this college stuff." She said. I nodded.

"Well, I didn't go to college so I can't help you, but your mother might remember some stuff from when she was applying to colleges all those years ago." I said. Rose nodded but she had tears in her eyes. "Hey, what's wrong honey?" I asked, and that's when Rose began to cry.

"All of the colleges that I'm looking at are far away and so I feel bad that I would be leaving you guys." She said. I shook my head.

"Oh honey. Yes, we're going to miss you, but we're all going to be so proud of you. We already are actually." I said. Rose nodded.

"And what about the tuition? How am I going to pay for my tuition?" Rose asked.

"You're not going to pay your own tuition. I'm going to pay it." I said. Rose looked at me with wide eyes and shook her head.

"No. I don't want to be in debt to you Daddy. I don't want to be in debt to anyone. I don't want you paying my tuition, it's too much." Rose said. I rolled my chair over so it was in front of her.

"You won't be in debt to me. I don't want you paying me back. I'm your father and I will do anything for you and your siblings. I don't care about paying your tuition. I want to help, so I'm going to, understand?" I asked. Rose sighed and nodded.

"Okay. I understand. I just feel bad." She said. Before I could say anything, there was a knock at the door.

"Come in." I said, and I smiled when my wife walked in.

"What are you two still doing up? Rosie why do you look like you've been crying?" Y/n asked.

"Neither of us can sleep and Daddy wants to pay my tuition and I feel bad about that." Rose said as Y/n walked over and sat on my lap.

"Rose, I have the money for it, you know that. Let me help you honey. I'll take care of it." I said. Rose thought for a moment.

"Rose, you know your dad, and when he says he'll take care of it, what does he do?" Y/n asked.

"He takes care of it." Rose said. Y/n nodded.

"That's right. He wants to help honey. He's your Daddy and he just wants to take care of his little girl." Y/n said.

"But wouldn't my rich dad paying for my tuition make me a spoiled brat?" Rose asked.

"No!" Y/n and I said at the same time. Rose sighed.

"Okay Daddy. Thank you for this." She said.

"You're going to let me pay your tuition?" I asked. She nodded.

"Yup." She said.

"Good. You're welcome sweet pea. Do you feel better now?" I said and asked. Rose nodded and then yawned.

"Yeah. I'm tired, I'm going to go back to bed." Rose said. My wife and I nodded and we both stood up to give her a hug. I kissed the top of her head.

"You're my little girl, and I'd do anything for you sweetie. I love you." I said.

"I love you too Daddy." She said, and then she went to bed. Y/n sat down in the chair that Rose had just been sitting in, and when I sat down too, she put her feet in my lap. I smiled.

"I woke up without my husband. I don't like waking up without my husband." Y/n said with a pout. I chuckled.

"I'm sorry Mrs. Mendes. I just couldn't sleep and then some lyrics popped into my head." I said. Y/n nodded. She then took her feet off of my lap and got up, walked over to me, and sat on my lap.

"Later today, will you play either the guitar or piano for me and sing to me please?" She asked. I smiled and nodded.

"Of course darling. I haven't played the piano for you in awhile. I'll play something on that." I said. Y/n nodded and then put her hand to my cheek and rubbed it with her thumb. We smiled at each other for a little bit. Just taking in this quiet moment alone with each other.

"I love you hubby." Y/n said. I kissed her cheek.

"I love you too wifey." I said. She smiled at me.

"Are you working tomorrow?" She asked. I shook my head.

"Nope. I have the day off." I said. Her smile widened.

"Good. The kids will be at school so I'll have my husband all to myself." She said. I kissed her chin.

"I can't wait baby. Let's go back to bed." I said. She nodded and got off of my lap.

"Can I have a hug please?" She asked as I stood up. I chuckled.

"My love, you never have to ask. Come here." I said as I opened up my arms. Y/n wrapped her arms around my waist and I wrapped my arms around her shoulders and swayed us from side to side a little. She then looked up at me and I smiled at her and she smiled back at me.

"Did you know that I love being married to you?" She asked. My smile widened.

"Well I kind of hoped so considering the fact that we've been married for nineteen years." I said, and Y/n giggled, causing my heart to flutter.

"Do you love being married to me?" She asked. I nodded and kissed her forehead.

"I love being married to you basically just as much as I love being our children's father. You guys are my everything and there's literally nothing that I wouldn't do for you guys." I said.

"You're the most amazing father, husband, and man. Did you know that baby?" Y/n said and asked. I smiled.

"Well did you know that you're the most amazing mother, wife, and woman?" I asked. Y/n blushed and rested her head on my chest again.

"Can we just stay like this forever please?" She asked, and I chuckled.

"Forever sounds wonderful, doesn't it?" I asked. She nodded her head against my chest.

"As long as this forever is with you it does." She said and I smiled. I kissed the top of her head and suddenly I felt tears form in my eyes and I sniffled. Y/n looked up at me. "Why are you crying baby?"

"Because I'm just kind of overwhelmed right now. I'm the luckiest guy in the world. I have the most beautiful and most amazing wife and the best kids that anyone could ever ask for. I'm so lucky." I said. Y/n reached up and wiped some of my tears away.

"Well the kids and I are lucky to have you." Y/n said. I smiled at her.

"Thank you. Come on, let's go to bed." I said. I then took her hand, turned off the light to my office, and her and I cuddled up to each other in bed. I pulled her as close to me as I possibly could.

"Good night Shawn. I love you." She said.

"Good night Y/n. I love you too." I said, and with that, we fell asleep. I'm so glad that I took care of Rose's worries and that I have the family that I do.