31. For Fernanda

I sat in the bedroom that I share with my fiancé, the singer and songwriter, Shawn Mendes. He has a few meetings to go to today and then he'll be home. I played with my engagement ring as my stomach was in a knot. I love Shawn, I do, but I don't think that I love him enough to marry him and spend the rest of my life with him. I thought I did, but now that I'm sitting down and thinking about all of it, I don't think that I do. I heard the front door open and I became even more nervous.

"Fernanda baby! I'm home!" Shawn yelled.

"I'm upstairs!" I yelled back. Shawn came into the room and smiled at me.

"Hi baby. Are you okay?" He asked. I sighed and patted the bed next to me.

"I think that we need to talk." I said. He looked nervous as he sat down next to me, and I turned my body so we were facing each other.

"What is it?" He asked. Tears formed in my eyes. Like I said, I do love Shawn, so what I'm about to do is going to break both of our hearts.

"Um, I love you Shawn. I really do. But I think that you love me more than I love you. I don't think we have an equal amount of love for each other. I've been thinking, and, um, oh my gosh this is the hardest thing ever. When we kiss, I don't get the same amazing feelings that I used to, and when we hold hands, I don't get the same feelings of sparks and safety and warmth." I said. I took a deep breath.

"Fernanda, please tell me that you're not about to break up with me." Shawn pleaded. I began to cry as I looked at him.

"I'm so sorry Shawn. But I think that we should go our separate ways." I said. Shawn began to cry, causing my heart to break even more. Shawn rarely cries.

"Please Fernanda baby. We've already sent out invitations and everything." Shawn said.

"I know, but I think that we should just message everyone and let them know that, um, the wedding is off." I said. Shawn put his head in his hands.

"Is it something that I'm doing or not doing? Is there something that I can fix?" Shawn asked. I shook my head.

"No. I just lost those feelings and I'm not as in love anymore. I'm sorry Shawn." I said. Shawn picked up his head and looked at me. I hated the fact that I could tell that his heart was broken, and it was all my fault.

"Let's get married anyways. I can give enough love for the both of us." Shawn pleaded. I shook my head.

"No Shawn. We can't do that to ourselves. That wouldn't be a healthy relationship. You'll find someone else Shawn, and they'll be able to love you in the way I can't. To be honest, I was listening to your song Running Low earlier. I'm so sorry that I hurt you, but I need to take care of myself and do what I feel is best." I said.

"But you said that you do love me." Shawn pointed out. I nodded.

"I do, but not enough to spend the rest of my life with you. I'm sorry Shawn. I think that I should just pack my stuff up and go." I said.

"Please just stay for one more night. Please. I want to hold you one last time." Shawn pleaded. I shook my head.

"No." I said. I then took my engagement ring off and handed it to him as we both continued to cry. "Give this to the right girl Shawn. I know that you'll find her. You're a good guy." I said. Shawn hesitantly took the ring.

"I'll always love you." He said. I got off of the bed. I wasn't sure of how to respond, so I didn't. I got some suitcases and started to pack as Shawn watched me. Soon I was packed up and Shawn walked me to the door. I turned to him.

"Good bye Shawn." I said.

"Good bye Fernanda." Shawn said, and with that, I left. 

I was staying at a friend's house when I got a notification on my phone. Shawn had posted a photo on Instagram, so I took a deep breath and checked to see what he had posted. It was just a black photo, showing nothing. I read the caption.

"It's with a heavy and broken heart that I say that Fernanda and I have broken up and called off the wedding. I do love Fernanda, and Fernanda loves me, but I guess that I just love her more than she loves me, and she doesn't get the same amazing feelings that she used to. She has a point: we shouldn't get married just because I feel as though I can love enough for the both of us. That wouldn't be a healthy relationship. Please do NOT send her hate, she did what she felt was best, and I want her to take care of herself, which is what she's doing. I'll be taking a break from all of my social media accounts. Please respect both mine and Fernanda's privacy at this time. Thank you." Shawn wrote, and I cried. I soon started to get mean messages from some of his fans, so I just turned off my phone. Shawn will find the one, I know he will. That one just isn't me.