178. Baby Naming

A/n: This one is for my Jewish readers! I was just thinking about Fiddler On The Roof and Jewish stuff like that, and then I came up with this idea! I had to do some research for this imagine because obviously I was a baby at my baby naming, so I don't remember it. I apologize if I got anything wrong or incorrect. Also, I kind of based the rabbi in this off of my rabbi. I hope that you guys enjoy this imagine, even if you're not Jewish. Anyways, without further ado, let's begin!

About thirty days ago, my husband, the singer and songwriter, Shawn Mendes and I welcomed our first child into the world. Rose Lucille Mendes was born weighing a whopping eight pounds, seven ounces. My family is Jewish, and even though my husband isn't Jewish, in the Jewish religion, if the mother is Jewish, that means that the baby will be Jewish. I held Rose in my arms as I went up to Shawn. He was getting ready for Rose's baby naming, a Jewish ceremony where she'll get her Hebrew names and be officially welcomed into the Jewish world.

"Shawn?" I called out. He looked at me and smiled, giving me butterflies. I smiled back. He was dressed up in a white button down shirt, black dress pants, and a black tie. We're having the ceremony at a synagogue, so we need to be dressed up nice. I was wearing a green dress with nude heels (A/n: the dress is in the picture above!!). I was wearing a minimal amount of makeup and I let my y/h/c hair stay down.

"Yes beautiful girl who's holding our beautiful baby girl?" Shawn asked. I looked down at Rose. She was wearing the same pink dress that I wore for my own baby naming, but her shoes were different.

"Do you mind that she's going to be raised Jewish?" I asked. Shawn, my not Jewish husband, shook his head.

"No of course not. We've already agreed that we're going to celebrate both Hanukkah and Christmas, right?" Shawn asked. I nodded.

"Yeah." I said. He nodded as he finished putting on his tie.

"Okay. Yeah I'm fine with this babe. So, um, what exactly are we supposed to do at the baby naming ceremony?" Shawn asked. I smiled.

"We say prayers and things like that. I'm just glad that she made it past the first thirty days of her life." I said as I looked at Rose. Shawn kissed my forehead.

"I know honey, I am too." Shawn said. In the Jewish religion, if a baby girl dies before she's thirty days old, she technically never lived in the Jewish religion, and would not get a headstone or anything like that.

"We should get going. I think that my parents are meeting us there and my brother is picking up your parents and Aaliyah from the airport." I said. Shawn nodded.

"Okay. She looks so cute in the same pink dress that you wore for your baby naming." Shawn said as he looked at our daughter, in awe of her.

"She does look very cute. Come on babe, let's get going." I said. Shawn nodded and I carefully walked down the stairs as I held Rose. Shawn then went ahead of Rose and I and opened up the car door for Rose and I. We buckled in Rose, and then I got in the passenger seat next to Shawn.

"So do I get to wear one of those... what are they called?" Shawn asked as we headed to the temple that my family has been attending for about sixty years. I giggled a little as I held Shawn's hand in my lap.

"A tallit?" I asked. Shawn nodded.

"Yeah. Do I get to wear one?" Shawn asked.

"No. But you can wear a kippah." I said.

"Okay. Why don't I get to wear a tallit?" Shawn asked. I felt bad.

"Because you're not Jewish and you weren't bar mitzvahed. If you had been bar mitzvahed, you would have gotten one then. I'm sorry honey." I said.