51. Sarah Gets In Trouble

I served dinner to my three kids, Rose, Jake, and Sarah. My husband is the singer and songwriter Shawn Mendes and he's currently on tour, causing the kids and I to miss him terribly. For dinner I had made broccoli and chicken. I set the plates down and sat down. Fourteen year old Sarah pushed the plate away.

"I don't want this." She said.

"Well I'm not a restaurant and that's what I made for dinner. If you're not going to eat that, then you're not going to eat." I said. She crossed her arms and stared daggers at me.

"I want to Daddy to come back and cook for us. He's a better cook than you mom." She said.

"Well he's working so he can't come back right now." I said as I began to eat.

"I don't understand why Daddy has to go on tour." Sarah said.

"Sarah he goes on tour because it's part of his job. He records the music in the studio, turns it into an album, and then goes on tour. You know that sweetie." I said. She sighed.

"Well I don't understand why we have to sit down at the table to eat dinner since he's not here." She said.

"Because we're still a family and we still need to eat together." I said. She stared at me.

"I hate you Mom. Daddy is so much better than you." Sarah said.

"Sarah Grace Mendes, in this house we show each other respect." I said.

"Well I'm not going to apologize for speaking the truth." She said.

"Why do you have an attitude tonight?" I asked.

"Because I want Daddy to come home!" She yelled.

"Do not yell at me young lady. I understand that you miss your father, we all do, but that does not give you the right to yell at your mother." I said.

"I don't care! This is so stupid!" She yelled as she stood up. I was sick of her yelling and her attitude.

"Sarah Grace Mendes that's enough. Give me your phone please. You're grounded for a week." I said. She pulled her phone out of her pocket, and instead of handing it to me, she basically threw it at me. It landed on the edge of my plate, causing it to flip over and my food went all over the table. I looked at the table and then at her. "Okay, you're grounded for two weeks. Please go get me your laptop and if you even try to throw that at me you'll make it a month long grounding." I said. She stomped out of the room and went upstairs.

"Do you need help cleaning that up Mom?" Jake, my sixteen year old, asked as he pointed at my dinner. I gave him a little smile and shook my head as I began to clean it up.

"No. Thank you though." I said. Sarah came back into the room and handed me her laptop.

"Here you go." She said.

"Thank you. You're allowed to have your phone at school in case of emergency and you need to get in touch with your siblings, your dad, or any family member, but the second that you come home, I want it back, understand?" I asked. She nodded.

"Yup." She said, and then walked away. Rose and Jake finished eating and I had cleaned up my dinner. I got myself another serving since I had to throw the first plate away. Jake gave me a hug and then left the table. Rose finished and looked at me. She's eighteen and she's already very wise.

"Mom you did the right thing. She shouldn't have been treating you like that." Rose said. I nodded.

"Yeah. What city is your father in?" I asked as I thought for a moment.

"Oslo." She said.

"And do you know what time it is there?" I asked as I rubbed my head. A headache was forming. She checked her phone.