91. Disapproval

I've been in a relationship with the singer and songwriter Shawn Mendes for three years now, and he recently proposed to me. Of course I said yes, he's the love of my life. Shawn and I were sitting on the couch, cuddling up to each other, when my phone rang. It was my dad.

"Hi dad." I said.

"Hi honey. Listen, the family wants throw a party for you and Shawn before he leaves for tour since you guys just got engaged and you're going on tour with him. It will be at your grandparents house in a couple of days. Does that sound good?" My dad asked.

"Sure. What time should we be there?" I asked. Shawn rubbed my back.

"Probably around noon." My dad said.

"Okay. We'll be there. Bye dad." I said.

"Bye." He said, and we hung up.

"Where are we going?" Shawn asked. I put my chin on his chest and cuddled up to him.

"My family - soon to be your family too - wants to throw us a party in a couple of days at my grandparents house. We have to be there by noon." I said. Shawn nodded.

"Okay. I can't wait to be married to you darling and I can't wait for you to be Y/n Mendes." Shawn said. I smiled. Shawn and I had already agreed that I would take his last name.

"I know baby. I can't wait either." I said. Shawn kissed my forehead.

"Lay your head back down honey. You look tired." Shawn said, and I did as told and closed my eyes. A few days later, Shawn and I went to my grandparents house and my grandmother immediately came up to us.

"Congratulations!" My grandmother said.

"Thank you Grandma." Shawn and I said. Shawn and I went around the room and my family congratulated us.

"Welcome to the family Shawn. We're glad to have you." My Uncle Larry said and I smiled.

"Thank you." Shawn said. My grandmother then waved me over to her. I looked at Shawn.

"I'll be right back." I said. He nodded and kissed my cheek, causing me to smile.

"Okay." He said. I walked over to my grandmother and she had me follow her to the porch. She shut the door so we could speak privately.

"So, you're going to keep your last name, right?" She asked. I shook my head.

"No. Shawn and I have talked and I'm going to change it from Y/l/n to Mendes when we get married." I said. She frowned.

"But honey, there's so much history as a Y/l/n." She said.

"Grandma, Great-grandpa Sam changed it to that when he became a United States citizen. It's not like we've had this last name for hundreds of years. Besides, Shawn is going to be my husband, and I want to take my last name. He was very happy when I asked him if I could become a Mendes." I said. My grandmother sighed.

"What about hyphenating it? That way you would be Y/l/n-Mendes." She said. I shook my head.

"Grandma please don't be upset. I'm very proud to be a Y/l/n, but I'm going to get married, and I want to take Shawn's last name." I said.

"You're causing your grandmother distress." She said, and I felt guilty.

"Grandma please. You took Grandpa's last name when you guys got married. I would like to take Shawn's last name when we get married. I love him Grandma, you know that." I said. She nodded.

"I do. I apologize, I would just like to see the Y/l/n name carried on." She said.

"But you have three grandsons that can do that." I pointed out. She nodded.

"Okay. Let's go back to the party." She said. I nodded and that's what we did. Shawn was talking to my cousin when I walked over to him. He smiled at me and immediately opened his arms up for me to come into, so I wrapped my arms around my table.

"What did your grandma want?" Shawn asked.

"I'll tell you later." I said and he nodded before turning back to my cousin. Later on, after the party, Shawn and I went home.

"So what was it that your grandma wanted?" Shawn asked. I told him what she had said as we sat on the couch. I leaned forward and put my head in my hands. Shawn immediately began to rub my back.

"Am I doing the right thing by taking your last name?" I asked. Shawn pulled me over so I was sitting on his lap and he took his hands away from my face.

"Of course you are. This is what you want, right?" Shawn asked. I nodded.

"Yes. Please don't get me wrong, I love being a Y/l/n, but I would absolutely love to become a Mendes." I said. Shawn nodded and rubbed my back.

"Then take my last name babe. You can do whatever you want. This is your life, you make the decisions." Shawn said. I nodded.

"Okay. I love you." I said, causing Shawn to smile, and I smiled back.

"I love you too darling." He said. I then put my lips on his. I felt my heart race as if I had just run a marathon, I felt butterflies erupt and fly around in my tummy, and I felt sparks shoot through me like fireworks. I love Shawn so much, and I can't wait to be Y/n Mendes.