191. He Calls You On The Tonight Show

I put mine and my husband's three kids down for bed. I've been married to the singer and songwriter Shawn Mendes for seven years, and we have three beautiful children together. Rose Lucille Mendes, who's six, Jacob Alexander Scott Mendes, who's four, and Sarah Grace Mendes, who's two. Rose was putting up a fight.

"Mommy, I want to watch Daddy's interview." Rose said. I sighed. I was going to be staying up to watch Shawn promote his newest album on the Tonight Show with Jimmy Fallon, but I didn't want the kids staying up that late.

"Sweet pea, you need your rest. I don't want you staying up too late." I said.

"I want to watch Daddy." She said as she began to cry. I sighed.

"Okay. You can watch his interview, but I'll record it so you guys can watch his performance tomorrow morning." I said. She nodded.

"Okay. Thank you." She said.

"You're welcome. Come on, let's go downstairs." I said as I got her out of bed. Soon, Shawn was on for his interview and Rose clapped when she saw him.

"Daddy!" She said.

"Shhh, your brother and sister are sleeping." I said. Somehow, the topic of Shawn's interview switched to the fact that I wear my wedding ring, and then another ring, which is a class ring.

"Yeah, so the ring, her grandparents got it for her, it has the year that she graduated and her school's mascot, and the name of the school on it. I think that her grandparents got it for her as a graduation gift. Wait, no, they got her a laptop for her graduation. Oh I really wish that I could call her and ask her right now." Shawn said. Jimmy then somehow pulled a phone basically out of nowhere and Shawn laughed.

"Do you know your wife's phone number by heart?" Jimmy asked. Shawn nodded.

"Of course, and I know that she's awake because she told me that she would stay up to watch this." Shawn said.

"Okay, I'll hide the numbers you're dialing from the crowd and the cameras, you call your wife to solve this mystery." Jimmy said. I watched as Shawn dialed my number, but Jimmy hid it so no one but Shawn could see, and then my phone rang.

"Hello?" I asked as I muted the television and put Shawn on speaker.

"Hi babe, it's me. Are you watching the interview?" He asked.

"Yeah. I honestly don't remember if the class ring was a graduation gift or not. I remember that the laptop was. My grandparents also got my brother his class ring for when he graduated." I said and I watched as Shawn nodded.

"Oh, okay." Shawn said.

"Hi Daddy!" Rose said. I watched as Shawn's face lit up.

"Hi Rosie. What are you doing up?" Shawn asked. Rose went silent.

"Rose, do you want to tell Daddy about you refusing to go to bed until you watched his interview?" I asked.

"No." She said and I heard Shawn, Jimmy, and the crowd laughed.

"Rosie, I don't want you staying up too late, okay?" Shawn asked.

"Okay Daddy." She said.

"I told her that after your interview she should go to bed and then her, Jake, Sarah and I will watch your performance in the morning." I said.

"I want to watch your performance tonight Daddy." Rose said.

"Rose Lucille, you have to listen to your Momma, okay? Remember what I said to you before I left?" Shawn asked. Rose paused.

"That you love me?" She asked. Shawn smiled.

"Yes, I said that too, but I reminded you that you have to be good for your Mommy. So, if Mommy is saying that she wants you to go to bed after my interview, that means that you should go to bed after my interview, okay?" He asked.

"But Daddy you're not here to sing to me or rub my back or read a book to me." Rose said.

"I know sweet pea, and I know that Mommy doesn't like singing, but she can rub your back and read a book to you." Shawn said. Rose nodded.

"She's nodding." I said.

"Okay, good. If she gives you a problem, call me on my cell phone please." Shawn said.

"I will. We'll let you get back to the interview. I love you." I said. Shawn smiled.

"I love you too Mrs. Mendes." Shawn said.

"I love you Daddy!" Rose said.

"I love you too my sweet girl. Sleep well Rosie and I'll talk to you tomorrow." Shawn said.

"Okay. Bye Daddy." She said.

"Bye honey." I said.

"Bye my sweets." Shawn said, and we hung up. I unmuted the television.

"That was so beyond cute." Jimmy said.

"Well my kids and my wife are pretty cute. Rose and Sarah are definitely big Daddy's Girls, but Jake is one hundred percent a Momma's boy." Shawn said. I smiled. Soon, the interview was over.

"Okay Rose, time for bed." I said.

"No." She said.

"Remember what Daddy said? Remember that he said that you have to be good for me?" I asked.

"I want Daddy to sing to me." She said.

"He can't, he has to perform. Come on, bed time." I said. She finally got off the couch and I put her to bed. I'm so glad that Shawn got a chance to remind Rose to be good for me and I love Shawn so much.