Chapter 144 - The Urge To Protect

~~~

It's the last day of the work study. Finally.

Up until this day, Kira and the others have been working nonstop, trying to master their own goals and beat Endeavour. They're all too far away from any of it. Kira can barely stay awake during their patrols, her legs buckling under her whenever she has to give chase after Endeavour, she's constantly parched, her eyes can barely stay open. But still, she perseveres. She has no choice.

Endeavour had warned them of an early start the following day, promising a tough patrol for their final day training under his wing. Seems he's really going to push them in order for them to achieve their personal goals. 

Twice Kira's new ability revealed itself, but she hasn't been able to create it again. She's tried everything and failed, having to resort to weaker, more difficult means to keep up with the number one hero and her classmates. Her light continues to leave traces of her presence, clear evidence of her failures. As the week has grown to an end, Kira and Bakugou have spoken less, feeling the pressures of working under Endeavour seeping into their mindset, disrupting their feelings and priorities. She just hopes this interference isn't here for long.

Kira trudges out of her room at the agency, carrying both her gauntlets in one hand and rubbing the sleep from her eye with the other. This is her last chance to prove herself to not only Endeavour and her classmates, but to herself, just so she can believe in her capabilities a little longer.

It's approximately six-thirty in the morning - the sun hasn't even revealed itself yet, as Kira makes her way down the hall towards the main room of the agency, dragging her feet slightly. Like clockwork, her classmates, minus Todoroki for some reason, also emerge from their rooms, dressed in their hero gear and ready to start the day. They usually eat breakfast on the go while they're out there in the world. It's a pretty sufficient way to both be prepared to save the day and also keep themselves ready.

"Morning everyone," Midoriya mumbles, adjusting his hero gear appropriately.

"Mornin' rookie!" The sidekick Burnin' yells, always full of fire and energy at this early hour. "How's your progress goin'?"

"Oh, hi, Burnin'," Midoriya greets. "It's fine, thanks."

"It's way too early for you to be yelling, idiot!" Bakugou chips in, though he shares the sidekicks blatant tone.

Kira just rubs her temple and groans, counting that as her addition to this mild conversation.

"How's it been trying to nab a villain before Endeavour?" Burnin' continues, stretching her limbs out for another tough day on patrol, no doubt. "Sorry, I know. My bad for bringing up such a delicate subject. I know he's a fast one and you've had zero success so far."

"Good morning, everyone," Todoroki says, finally joining them all, as they prep for their day out with Endeavour.

"Shoto!" Burnin' greets. "Hey there, slowpoke!"

"We're not as far behind," Todoroki adds. "Yesterday, we almost beat him."

Kira scoffs to herself quietly. He means that they nearly beat Endeavour. She's still struggling to simply get anywhere. It's humiliating, but her friends haven't brought the subject up at all. Neither has Endeavour, for that matter. Kira just hopes that means he's letting her get on with it herself, instead of having given up on her. She won't blame him if he does though.

"We need to remember what that felt like and use it to fuel us," Todoroki says, striding up to them. He seems more energetic than all of them combined. "Let's make today the day we surpass Endeavour, okay?"