Chapter 59 - The Fight At Training Ground Beta

~~~

Akira was woken by a consistent tapping on her balcony window. She tried to ignore it, tossing over to her side, using her pillow to try and block out the noise, but to no avail.

Just when she was about to explode with anger, Kira flings herself out of bed and tears open her curtains, expecting an annoying bird to be there or something, but instead she spots a figure lurking in the trees by the dorms.

"Hey!" She whisper-shouts. "Who the hell is that?" No response. "I swear to God, if that's you Monoma, I will personally kick your ass."

"Calm down." The figure reveals themselves. "It's only me."

Kira hesitates, still not believing the potential imposter. "D-dad? What are you doing? It's like... two in the morning."

"I had to see you!" He blurts. "How did your provisional licence exam go? Did you pass?"

Kira looks to the side, down at a random spot on her balcony and her father's once cheery demeanour diminishes.

"Aw, no. What happened?" He asks.

"Nothing. I was an idiot, that's all."

"Come down here," he suggests, waving his arms. "We can talk about it, if you want?"

"Why does everyone keep saying that!?" Kira barks, her frustration echoing in the night.

"Because you look like you're about to explode," he says plainly. "Even from down here, I can see that."

"I... I can't. We're back to normal classes tomorrow and I really need to rest up."

"You're back to normal classes?" Kira nods at his question. "Tomorrow?" She repeats her movement. "Jeez, they don't mess around in this school, huh?"

"No, they don't," she says. "Which is exactly why you need to go now."

"Just ten minutes," he pleads. "Akira, I need to know how you are."

Kira eyes the man below. Just that phrase alone is enough to make her doubt him.

"You know I still don't trust you, right?"

"You trust me enough," he counters.

She sighs heavily, her contradicting thoughts overlapping. "Fine," she grumbles out finally.

Kira leaps over the railing, using one hand to swing her legs over and drop down the several floors below. She activates her Quirk for a safer, stealthier landing and approaches her father, dusting her hands off.

"Nice to see you again," he says, his voice his regular volume.

Kira keeps quiet, staring at him with a mixture of hostility but also familiarity.

"Take a walk with me?"

Kira watches as he sticks out his arm for her to take and she hesitantly loops her hand in with his elbow and the both of them saunter away from the dormitories. Kira's bare feet pad on the cold concrete as they stroll alongside the woods. The night was quiet, not even a bird to keep them company.

"So, you wanna tell me why you failed?"

Kira sighs heavily, casting her eyes down to the ground. There were only a few people she would tell about her failure and her distant father was one of them. After all, who's he going to tell?

"I told you, I was dumb," she replies, still unsure.

"That's pretty vague, Akira," he informs her. "Come on, spit it out. You'll feel better."