Chapter 16 - Babysitting And Spicy Ramen

~~~

"What the hell are you talking about, you damn idiot?"

Bakugou leans back from the shelf, peering past Kira. She just stares, dumbfounded at the small child on the floor as they reach their chubby fingers up to her. All she can do is really stare at the baby, as it immediately loses interest in her and instead continues chewing on whatever store item it can get its hands on.

"Uh..." Is all Kira can offer right now, as her eyes widen at the baby, clad in a onesie and drool all over their face.

Shaking her head, Kira rushes down the far end of the aisle, searching left and right for a particularly panicked parent or guardian. Kira even resorts to standing on one of the shelving, hearing the fragile wood crack under her shoes in an attempt to find the baby's parents.

"There's no one," she mumbles, stepping off the now broken shelf, the store items littering the floor.

Kira stares at the ground as the baby rounds the aisle corner, crawling on their hands and knees to get to the items that Kira had just dropped onto the floor.

Bakugou peeks around the corner, ever so slightly concerned, but Kira could be mistaking the expression on his face with pure bewilderment.

"Right," Kira huffs to herself, crouching next to the baby and scooping them up in her arms, her hands gripped firmly under the armpits of the small child. "Bakugou, where's the counter?" She asks, unable to take her eyes off the tiny human being.

"How the hell should I know?" She hears him grumble quietly as he ventures down a different aisle.

Suddenly, the baby starts to bawl, great heaving sobs racking the child's body in her arms and Kira squeaks in panic. Maybe she's holding too tight?

"Oh, God," she whimpers, as the baby inhales and then screams loudly.

As if that were some kind of cue, Kira makes a bolt for the store clerk, zooming down a few aisles and approaching the help desk.

The store clerk looks from Kira to the baby and then back to Kira again, their eyes widening at the sobs the child is making.

"I found this baby," she says, dumbly.

The store clerk nods. Kira blinks at him, as if he was the one that was going to make everything magically perfect again.

"Could you, uh..." Kira gestures to the microphone on the desk, the baby wriggling in her outstretched hands.

"Oh, right," the store clerk replies, fumbling with the microphone, tapping the button harshly.

He starts to mumble into the microphone, but the cries from the baby make his message practically inaudible. Kira tries her best to silence the child, bouncing them up and down, shushing them, but nothing seems to work.

"You're goddamn useless!" Bakugou shouts suddenly, ramming the store clerk out of the way and smacking the microphone button with such force, Kira's worried it will simply snap in two. "Some idiot left their damn baby behind!" He roars into the microphone, his voice easily spreading throughout the store. "Come and get them, you stupid parent!"

The store clerk leans back away from Bakugou in terror and shock as he shoves the microphone back onto the desk. He looks absolutely irked about his whole situation.

"And you..." He starts, pointing a finger at Kira, hatred burning in his features. "I could be at home, eating spicy ramen right now, if you hadn't been so damn annoying and-" He pauses, slowly lowering his finger. "Why the hell are you smiling, you idiot!?"

"She's stopped crying!" Kira gawks, as the baby stares at Bakugou, a look of amusement plastered across their innocent features. "Do it again!"

"Do what again?"