Chapter 100 - It Was Going To Happen Eventually

~~~

"Kirishima?" Kira wonders, noticing the eerie quietness of the dorms.

It should be as lively as ever, music playing, confetti flying about, presents being torn into. But, it was dark. Kira had to admit: she was frightened, anxious.

It didn't feel like the dormitory she had fallen in love with. It felt like a place she'd never set foot into before.

"Where is everyone?" She asks the darkness.

"They're in the courtyard," Kirishima finally speaks up, breaking the silence with a croak in his voice.

"Well, let's go and join them then," she says, laughing nervously at the atmosphere.

"No," he replies bluntly. "I told them that I wanted to see you alone and that made them all leave pretty quickly."

"Alone?" Kira echoes, stepping closer slowly, his figure hiding somewhere infront of her.

"We need to talk."

"Already?" Kira asks. "You don't need more time? It hasn't even been twenty-four hours yet."

"I've been given all the time I needed."

"You... you have?" Kira struggles to spot him, squinting ridiculously.

Kira hears him shuffle, before his voice grows louder as he nears. She waits for her partner to speak, to explain, while her vision grows accustomed to the bizarre lighting.

She hears him sigh, a heavy breath, full of regrets. "I've had doubts," he tells her, finally.

Kira's glad for the dim lighting, hiding her expression that portrays confusion, hurt and guilt. Emotions she's never felt so strongly around Kirishima. "About... us?" She asks hesitantly, afraid of the answer.

"No- yes," he responds quickly. "Well, about everything."

"You can talk to me, Kirishima," Akira assures him, her words stumbling over her tongue, words she's repeated for as long as she can remember. "I'm here for you."

"That's just it," he says harshly. "You're... not here. You say you are, but you're not. Not really."

"What do you mean?" Kira urges, those negative emotions coursing through her. "I am here. Right now. In front of you."

She allows herself a few inches closer to her beloved, her steps frighteningly loud in the darkness seperating them. She wants to reach out to him, like she should have done this morning. She wants to feel him close to her, like she longed for this morning.

Kirishima's head moves slightly, his bright red hair acting as a beacon in the darkness, guiding her closer to him, avoiding the treacherous waters.

"Everything has become so much clearer," he adds, dragging out the words. "I don't know how I could have been so stupid."

"Kirishima," Kira pleads, her hands ready to embrace her partner, to absorb any doubts and pain he may be experiencing. "I don't understand. What's going on?"

Kirishima grabs her wrists, preventing her from enveloping him in her arms. "You've done nothing but lie to me all these months."

Kira doesn't know where this sudden hostility has come from - is this even her partner before her? He's so different. Now only inches between them, Kira can see his eyes, his bright red eyes she's come to adore, now darker than before, despite the lack of light in the room. They've been dim for a while, his skin pale with bags under his eyes ever since he was released from the hospital and Kira chalked it up to his recent experience against the Shie Hassaikai, but she's been blinded by it all - by her own devotions. Kirishima has been battling with something for a while and now it's finally decided to make an appearance.