Two Heroes (Part Five)

~~~

Kira, Kirishima and Todoroki practically punch their way further and further up. Kirishima cracks the next ceiling and Kira finishes it off, but just as Kirishima's about to leap through the hole, she grips onto the back of his jacket, her finger on her lips. There's no mistaking that familiar blaring of the robot's sirens. They grow louder and louder - they must have heard the ceiling caving in.

"Get back!" Kira whisper-shouts and the three of them leap off from Todoroki's ice tower, using their Quirk's to cushion their fall. "We're gonna have to find another way up there."

"Yeah." Todoroki nods, brushing ice from his shirt sleeve. "We can't run head on into those robots. We have to assume that the higher up we go, the better their defences are going to be."

"Agreed." Kira returns the nod, before pointing to a door across the room. "Let's take this door and try to find some stairs."

Without further discussion, Kira blasts the door open with her twin beams, a small hole incinerating the middle of the closed door. They each step through, looking left and right down the hall for the stairs.

"I'll go this way," Todoroki says, racing off to the right.

"Todoroki-"

"There's no time," he cuts her off, ice swirling around his hand.

Kira grumbles to herself before taking off to the left with Kirishima, him right by her side. "What's with people always running off by themselves?"

"I'm sure we'll meet up with him in a minute," Kirishima ensures.

"That's if he doesn't get cornered by a bunch of those robots," she argues, racing around a corner. "I mean, he just said that they're gonna have better defences as we get further up the building."

"Todoroki can handle himself."

"I just wanna hurry up and find the others," she mumbles.

Kira and Kirishima finally come across a section of stairs, but there's no evidence that Todoroki came this way.

"Should we wait for him?" Kirishima wonders.

She looks at her classmate as he gazes back down the corridor. "It's like he said - there's no time."

They take the stairs two at a time to the next floor, listening intently for the robot's wheels on the ground or their annoying sirens. It's quiet. That unnerved her - she heard them not too long ago. Kira approaches the door, stealing a peek around, noticing some of her classmates bound by the robot's wires in the middle of the room.

Kira's about to call out for them, to let them know they've come to save them, when Kirishima's hand wraps around her mouth, silencing her. She frowns back at him, noticing the sincerity in his eyes. Kira nods slowly and Kirishima slowly lowers his hand.

"It's gotta be a trap," he says bluntly.

Kira stares at her classmates tied together in a circle. "I know that," she says, mostly to herself. "Of course, I know that."

"What's the plan?" Kirishima asks, hardening his arms in preparation.

Kira hums to herself as she examines the room - no sign of the robot's though she's certain she heard a couple dozen of them, at least.

"I don't see where they could be hiding," she mutters out loud. "I don't even hear them. How the hell can these robots be planning an ambush like this? It's annoying."

Suddenly, a faint click echoes around the large room, metallic sounding, like a grate opening, or a metal pipe groaning.

"You've gotta be kidding me," Kira deadpans, staring at the other side of the room.