Chapter 20 - Final Exam Results

~~~

Kira opens her eyes, her whole body groggy and sore. She notices the cleanliness of the room, its stark white appearance harsh on her eyes. Blinking quickly, Kira also spots a light blue curtain drawn across but she can easily see a large silhouette that can only be All Might stood on the other side. Kira winces as she tries to sit up, finding bandages wrapped around her midsection.

"Right," she groans. "The battle."

Kira glances up at the curtain again, noticing a much smaller one to the right of him - Recovery Girl. A shirt had been left for her on the side and so Kira snatches it, pulling it on and forcing herself out of bed. The cold floor meets her bare feet and she gasps softly. How long was she unconscious for? What about Midoriya and Bakugou?

Kira draws the curtain back, revealing Midoriya and Bakugou still unconscious in hospital beds beside each other.

"Young Kiriya!" All Might bellows, his voice booming around the tiny room.

"How are they?" Kira croaks.

"Midoriya's back is all messed up," Recovery Girl replies, as she waddles around one of the beds. "Because All Might doesn't know when to hold back."

She then proceeds to smack him in the shin with her cane, which he has zero reaction to.

"That was the test though, wasn't it?" Kira whispers, staring at each of her classmates. "No villain in the real world is gonna hold back."

"You're absolutely right." All Might rests a hand on her shoulder and she tears her eyes away from the beds. "Although, young Kiriya, there are times when you must hold your own power back. You lost control today. Your actions could have easily made the situation worse."

Kira sighs, sudden tears springing to her eyes. She wipes them irritably, chalking it up to exhaustion.

"I'm sorry." That's all she's able to say at that moment.

"However, you were able to regain control, unlike you did at the Sports Festival," he states, removing his hand from her shoulder.

"Yeah, I've been training my Quirk," she tells him. "But, I haven't gotten around to testing out my Atomic power."

"Atomic power?"

"That's... that's what my mother's calling it." She shrugs.

"Your mother? Light Bringer?" All Might frowns slightly. Kira nods slowly and All Might merely shrugs. "I wasn't aware she was back in town," he murmurs.

Kira eyes him suspiciously. How could the number one hero not know that Light Bringer had returned? Does that mean that no one knows? She shakes her head - her classmates know because of her internship.

"So?" All Might says loudly. "What's changed?"

Kira glances at the beds quickly. "I'm not sure."

All Might sighs, a slight amount of steam coming from his body. But, Kira's too busy watching Midoriya and Bakugou to notice.

"There's somewhere I have to be," All Might says suddenly. "I take it they're in good hands?"

All Might nods to Recovery Girl before rushing to the door.

"Wait!" Kira calls after him and he pauses at the door. "Wha- what am I supposed to do? How do I control this power? When I use it, I end up hurting myself and this time" - she spots the faint markings of burns on Bakugou's side, leftovers from Recovery Girl's repairs - "I hurt someone else."

All Might slowly turns on the spot, his smile widening slightly. "Young Kiriya. You found some way of controlling it earlier. What were you thinking about? Whatever it was you were focused on, don't lose sight of it."