Chapter 25 - The Calm Before The Storm

~~~

Another day at the Training Camp came around and Kira was battling against a ferocious Dark Shadow in the cave. Their pair-up was definitely the smarter option - this gives Tokoyami the opportunity to control his Quirk in the darkness, but also try and build a tolerance to light. For Kira, she's strengthening her Quirk to draw her power using the tiniest amount of light. It makes it even more difficult as well, as Dark Shadow blocks most of the light from entering the cave.

Kira blocks a large claw, creating a meek shield over her left side of her body. She tries to flash the shadow, but only a minuscule amount of light erupts from her palm. She curses her power before she has to throw herself out of the way of another attack. The wall behind her crumbles away and Kira tries to catch her breath. Tokoyami's Quirk really is ruthless, but how smart is it really?

Kira could try to create a fake hologram of herself as a distraction, but she's only just been slightly mastering that skill over the summer break. She only had a month and without her mother's help, it's difficult to accomplish. Especially with the lack of light, it might just be impossible in the cave.

She dodges another attack - she has to try as she can't keep defending forever. Kira concentrates, trying to subtly extend her arms out towards a certain corner of the cave, preferably with the most light. She grunts with the exertion, as a faint outline of herself starts to from, shimmering like a mirage. Her replica is never going to be a perfect copy - her power can only use light to create a see-through appendage of anything.

Kira shields herself from an attack, using the dust cloud caused from the sudden strike to hide behind a certain rock in the cave. She holds her breath as Dark Shadow looms over her hiding spot. Please work. She mutters in her head. If only she could make her copy make some kind of sound or call out to the enemy.

Suddenly, Dark Shadow veers around, creeping towards the cave entrance - towards her hologram. She peeks over the rock as Tokoyami's Quirk raises a deathly hand at Kira's copy. She takes her chance as Dark Shadow swipes at it, its hand going straight through, scattering the light rays everywhere. Kira lunges from behind the rock simultaneously, willing the light to her and extends both her palms towards Tokoyami. With his back to her, her light explodes from her skin and Dark Shadow shrinks away, growing smaller and smaller before vanishing into Tokoyami's body.

The boy doubles over, his Quirk taking a lot out of him. When it's at its full strength like that, he finds it more and more difficult to regain control.

"That was impressive," he says, straightening up again.

"Thanks," she sighs, staring at her palms. "That was actually the first time I was able to produce a full copy of myself. Before it was just a floating head or a foot or something," she laughs slightly, picturing it perfectly.

"Tonight's gonna be fun!" One of the Pussycats yells from down below and both Kira and Tokoyami step out from the cave to get a better look. "We're pitting classes against each other in a test of courage! I know you've been training hard today and later you'll get to play hard! How's that for a reward!?"

"It just sounds like more work to me," Kira mutters, crossing her arms over her chest.

"Don't slack now!" She continues. "Make sure you keep on pushing yourselves as you work!"

~

Surprisingly, the rest of the day went pretty quickly. Of course, Kira couldn't use that same tactic against Tokoyami's Dark Shadow, so she spent the rest of their training dodging and defending from his attacks. There were times when he was able to get a few licks in and she's got the scrapes and bruises to prove it.