Chapter 46 - His Unexpected Confession

~~~

Kira laughs nervously, stepping clumsily away from the wall, her back colliding into the sofa. "I never went with him," she says to no one really.

"Well, you did in this world," Bakugou says, peeling off one of the articles and waving it around. "Looks like Light Bringer went on a vengeful killing spree."

"She wouldn't," Kira says, although after her father was claimed dead in her reality, Light Bringer went after the criminals responsible and had to be held back by other pro heroes to prevent her from killing them.

"Whatever," Bakugou sighs, dropping the newspaper clipping as it slowly drifts to the dusty floor.

Kira stares at the image, a haunting photo of her mother in chains, blood covering her features and a look of blazing fury cast over her eyes. It didn't look anything like Light Bringer. Behind her, Bakugou yanks the white sheet off the sofa and coughs as a waft of dust travels with it. He sits down with a whoomph, the sofa not having been used in years.

Kira slowly walks backwards until she too sits down, beside Bakugou, still observing the wall. It was truly chilling to witness, as if she were in a crime movie.

"I'm not even sure if I want to visit her now," Kira whispers.

"Good," Bakugou replies. "We don't have the time. First thing tomorrow, I'm gonna find that damn villain and make him take me back to my own reality."

"You mean 'us'," Kira side-eyes him.

"Whatever," he grumbles.

"You better not leave me here in this twisted world, Bakugou."

"You better not drag me down then," he counters.

They sit in silence for a while, as the moon filters through the double sliding doors leading to the back of the house, casting an eerie glow over the paper clippings. Dozens and dozens of unknown faces scribbled out from their photos - are those the one's she was able to track down and kill? There's way more than there were in her own reality. It's as if she was tracking down a chain of command... So the criminals that murdered her in this reality are, or were, part of a larger organisation? Just how many criminals did Light Bringer kill?

"Any why didn't I heal?" Kira mutters aloud.

"What was that?"

"Huh? Oh - nothing," she says, shaking her hands slightly.

"What do you mean 'heal'?" He presses.

"Forget it."

"You've been hiding a lot of stuff ever since Kamino ward," Bakugou says bluntly and Kira stiffens. "About your Quirk, about the weirdo you met that one night."

"What?" She turns on the sofa. "How did you know about that?"

"I heard everything," he adds, ignoring her questions.

Kira keeps silent for a moment. When she was with her father, it was just the two of them that night, she's sure of it. "I'm not hiding anything," she decides to say. "Not everything is your business, Bakugou."

"Then I have every reason to assume you really are a traitor."

"Huh?" Her eyebrows shoot up. "I already told you, I didn't mean any of that!" She snaps, her temper boiling. "Listen, that guy... was actually my father."

Sorry, dad. She says to herself.

"Uh-huh." Bakugou nods slowly. "But he's dead, right? So, you're just getting tricked again."

"No," she groans irritably. "I think he's the real deal. He knows things that Toga could never know and-" She bites her tongue to conceal any more information.