Chapter 4 - New Hero Costumes

~~~

Six Years Ago

"Teach me!" Kira yelled, standing next to the Light Bringer in the back fields beyond their house.

"Akira," Light Bringer laughed. "You might not inherit all the abilities that I have, you know that."

"But I can learn."

"Maybe." She tilted her head at her daughter. "Maybe not."

Kira stared up at her mother, the Light Bringer, her idol. She wanted to be exactly like her, like a dynamic duo. With matching costumes and matching abilities. What a sight it would have been.

"But..."

"Spit it out, Kira," her mother said, tilting Kira's chin up with her finger. "Heroes are certain. Strong. Say what you want with confidence."

"Dad doesn't have a Quirk. Doesn't that mean that I'm just like you? I have all your powers."

"No," Light Bringer sighed. "Think about the generations before you. Before me. In your generation" - she pointed to Kira's chest - "who knows what phenomenal powers you'll grow and evolve with."

~

Present Day

Akira had heard of the Quirk Singularity Effect, where as each generation is born, their Quirks grow and evolve to become stronger and more complex. If she is an example of one of them, then shouldn't her father have had a Quirk also? Maybe her mother tried to have it so Kira isn't a victim of the Singularity and isn't at risk of producing such a powerful Quirk.

But what happened with her Quirk when she threw that ball... she hadn't even seen that happen to Light Bringer.

Kirishima nudges her in the ribs and she blinks up at him, putting her hand back down by her side.

"Mr Aizawa is Eraser Head!" He beams, as Aizawa glares at Izuku Midoriya, his eyes a bright red.

"You're not ready," Aizawa was saying, as Kira focuses on the conversation. "You don't have full control over your power. Were you planning on breaking your bones again... counting on someone else to save your useless body?"

"No! That's not what I was trying to do-"

Aizawa latches onto Midoriya with a single piece of his scarf, wrapping it around his torso and pulling him forward.

"No matter what your intentions are, you would be nothing more than a liability in battle! You have the same reckless passion as another overzealous hero I know. One who saved a thousand people by himself and became a legend," Aizawa leans back up away from Midoriya. "But even with that drive, you're worthless if you can only swing a single punch before breaking down. Sorry Midoriya, with your power, there's no way you can become a hero."

"Wasn't that a little bit harsh?" Kira whispers.

"Are you kidding?" Kirishima scoffs. "After what Midoriya did in the entrance exam, he definitely needed a pep talk."

"I was there when it happened," Ochaco says, stepping up next to Kira and Kirishima. "His power is pretty crazy, but he did what he did to save me. So... Mr Aizawa is wrong on this. He has every making to be a pro hero."

The class falls silent as Midoriya prepares his throw. His arm lights up, red vein-like appearances glowing on his skin. It seems to be vibrating, before it starts fading away and collecting on his index finger. He then launches the ball sky high, bruising only his finger, instead of his entire arm.