Chapter 28 - The Unsuspecting Rescue

~~~

There was an intense ringing in her ears and voices murmuring in the distance, yet she couldn't quite make out what they were saying. Kira willed her eyes to open, but all she could spot was redness. The right side of her face felt hard, as if crusted with blood - which was probably correct. The last thing she remembers is being strangled by the burnt villain, Dabi, before she could no longer breathe and was coughing up blood.

Kira blinks slowly, noticing Bakugou still in chains, sat opposite Shigaraki and the other League of Villains. Her hair blankets her face, obscuring her vision as Shigaraki seems to be speaking to Bakugou, swinging his arms around in an attempt to prove his point.

"So much criticism," Shigaraki was saying. "But, everyone makes a mistake or two, right? It's not like they're supposed to be perfect. Modern day heroes sure have it rough. Don't you think, Bakugou?"

"Once a hero receives payment to protect people," the lizard villain adds. "They aren't a real hero anymore. That's what Stain's actions taught us."

Shigaraki tilts his head at Bakugou. "A hero in this current system only cares about money and glory and since society buys into those idiotic rules, anyone deemed a loser is shoved aside. So we want to pose some questions. What is a hero? What is justice? Is this society truly fair? Soon, everyone will be asking. That's when we'll know we've won and you like winning... don't you?"

How long has Kira been lying here, soaked in her own blood? How long have the villains been trying to convince Bakugou and are they succeeding? Someone as determined and stubborn as Bakugou shouldn't be able to fall so easily for their twisted ideals. They've killed innocent people - Bakugou would never.

"Dabi, let him go," Shigaraki says suddenly and the burnt villain turns to his leader in shock.

"You know he'll just fight."

"It's fine," Shigaraki insists. "We're recruiting him, so we should treat him as an equal. Besides, he's smart enough to know he can't take us all, right?"

But he'll certainly try. Kira thinks to herself.

"After all, UA students are so clever."

"Hey, Twice." Dabi nods to the villain with the twisted personality. "You do it."

"Sure thing. No way, man."

"Just do it," Dabi sighs.

"I do apologise for such forceful methods," the magician speaks up from the back of the room, as Twice releases Bakugou from the restraints. "But please understand that we aren't some kind of unruly mob committing crimes without a third act in mind."

Shigaraki stands up from his stool to approach Bakugou. "Even though our backgrounds are different, everyone here has suffered. Because of people, rules and heroes who try to hold us back. I'm sure you're the same."

Before Kira can even blink, Bakugou lunges from the chair, pushing Twice back and swiping Shigaraki with a powerful explosion.

"I'm done listening to your endless talking," her classmate says, ready to defend himself. "Can you not get to the point, or do you just like your own voice? Basically, what you're saying is you wanna cause some trouble and you want me to join you. Well, screw you."

Kira can't help but smile painfully, as she remains sprawled on the floor of the bar. The League of Villains made a big mistake kidnapping Bakugou - she can see that now.

"Yeah, I wanna win," he continues. "I wanna win, just like All Might. No matter what you have to offer me, that will never change, do you understand!?"

His resilience is unbearably inspiring - if only Kira could move her limps, but she doesn't have the strength. Dabi really did a number on her.