Chapter 8 - The UA Sports Festival

~~~

The Night Before She Left

"Come at me," Light Bringer said, standing in a combative stance.

"Right now?" Kira squeaked, the giant moon hovering above them.

Light Bringer suddenly attacked, leaping forward and jabbing Kira in the gut.

"You always have to be ready, Akira." She sighed, helping her daughter to her feet. "Do you expect the villains to wait for you?"

Kira remained silent and rubbed her stomach. She aimed her arms out in front of her, copying Light Bringer's actions. She's taller, bigger and stronger than her. So, Kira aimed for her legs, blasting a beam of light at her feet, so that she has no choice but to dodge. When Light Bringer landed, Kira charged sliding across the grass and aims to kick her in the shins. However, Light Bringer predicted this, side-stepping and easily stood on Kira's back, crushing her stomach once again.

"Try again," she ordered.

"We've been practicing all night," Kira complained.

"The villains-"

"They won't wait for me! I get it," Kira snapped, her impatience getting the best of her.

"If you know this, then stop complaining. Get up and try again," Light Bringer said sternly, moving back from Kira.

Anger coursed through her veins now and Kira lept to her feet, using her power to blast her upright. She lunged, firing two burning beams at Light Bringer. She created a shield, and so Kira ran around, still firing. Her mother was irritating her, blocking her every attack, so she went close, swinging with a punch that was easily blocked and then a knee to the gut, which was also blocked. Her anger boiled, and she roared, pushing at the air with such ferocity that it sent a shockwave of blinding light, lifting Light Bringer off her feet and flipping her head over heels. However, she landed perfectly, her clothes singed and smoking.

Light Bringer straightened, flicking her hair behind her. "Control your emotions, Akira. Don't let them control you."

Kira took a deep breath, her arms turning their usual dull green instead of white.

"Again."

~

Present Day

UA High is closed the next day. Of course it is. Kira would be shocked if it wasn't. She stays inside the whole day, not really in the mood to practice or use her powers at all. Instead, she sits on the edge of her bed, staring at her hand. She flexes her fingers, turns her hand over and then brushes her sleeve up to reveal her forearm.

All Might's Quirk is intense to witness. The sheer power to destroy that Nomu seems impossible. If Kira hadn't seen it for herself, then she wouldn't have believed it. Is the villains goal really just to try and kill All Might? Why? Because he's the symbol of peace and hope?

Kira allows her Quirk to activate, her light glowing a dull green up her arm, illuminating her room in an eerie glow. If her Quirk is any stronger, maybe she could have taken out one of the main villains on her own - maybe the leader. That really would have helped. She scoffs at herself, at her negativity - if she were stronger, then that two-face villain wouldn't have been a problem. If that was the case, they could have gotten to All Might faster.

Her arm glows hotter, her emotions driving her power.

Still, she's glad she's not alone, even if one of those people happens to be Bakugou. If she were on her own when the villains attacked, she probably would have died.