Chapter 40 - The Return Of Somebody Unexpected 2.0

~~~

Kira didn't even try to go to sleep anymore. If she did, the nightmares would come, once again, terrorising her about her mistakes. Instead, she pushed herself out of her bed, ignoring her body's cries for rest and slid open the door to her balcony, instantly sighing as a cool gust of wind brushed her hair off her face. She approached the banister, glancing down to the ground. She was pretty high up, being on the fourth floor.

She stifled a yawn, and glanced down the side of the building, admiring the UA school only just across the street. Her satisfied smile dropped, however, when she noticed a shadowy figure lurking under the streetlight next to the school wall. It was impossible to tell who it was, but what if it was one of the League of Villains, planning their next move? Doing what came to mind, Kira lept from her balcony, using her light at the very last second to cushion her fall. Her bare feet padded across the concrete as she crossed the empty street to the figure - they haven't even attempted to escape.

"Who the hell are you?" Kira barks, allowing her arms to glow. Thankfully, she's wearing a tank top, otherwise her pyjamas would have been shredded.

"Akira." A gruff voice sounds from the figure. Kira slowly approaches the shadow, her arms raised defensively. "It's about time we met," the man speaks up.

"Don't make me repeat myself," Kira threatens, her teeth gritted.

The man sighs, stepping forwards to meet her and Kira snaps her palm out, her light glowing intimidatingly.

"There's no need for that," he says quietly, still advancing without fear. "I've been keeping a close eye on you, as best I can."

"Okay..." She murmurs in reply. "Little creepy."

The man chuckles heartily. "I can see how it can be, yeah. But, the only reason I've been watching you is because you know me."

He steps closer and shrugs off his hood, revealing a sunken face, yellow skin and a matted beard. There's no mistaking the features though - even if it's been so many years, Kira would know him anywhere.

"Dad?" She blabbers, lowering her arms almost immediately.

Her father nods at her, tears springing to his eyes, as if he wasn't expecting the girl to recognise him. But, sudden memories come to mind and Kira raises her arms once more.

"Goddamn it!" She shouts, not caring if she woke her classmates across the road. "You're dead! So, whoever you are, quit playing games before I kill you."

"It's really me," he persists.

"Yeah, sure." She sniffs, surprised to find herself so emotional. After all, what did she expect?

"I can prove it," he says, as he lowers his hands quickly to his stomach.

"Whoa!" She warns, brightening her Quirk.

The man hesitates, snapping his ghostly eyes to her. "If you wanted to kill me already, you would've done it."

Kira frowns bitterly, as the man raises his shirt, showing a ghastly hole in the side of his chest. He also brushes his hand over his leg, revealing a similar hole embedded into his calf.

Kira can't seem to take her eyes off the wounds. "So, you're telling me... those are from-"

"The day at the store." He nods sadly.

"It's impossible," she murmurs.

The man - her father - shakes his head. "And yet, here I am."

There's a thick silence between the two of them, but Kira refuses to lower her arms. She's been tricked once before already and she's not taking any chances.