Chapter 94 - Unsettling News

~~~

Kira couldn't keep her eyes off Kirishima all night. He tried his hardest to usher her away, coming up with all manner of excuses, but she was too stubborn to be deterred. She didn't sleep that night, despite being exhausted from the stupid Dance Exam that same day, not wanting to take her eyes off her beloved.

He had a nightmare about half past two in the morning, starting with some incomprehensible muttering to tossing and turning in his sheets. Kira had leapt from her seat on the floor beside him to try and console him through his night terror. She stroked his head and ushered comforting tones in his ear and eventually after about an hour, he fell into a perturbed slumber. His sudden nightmare was enough to awaken Kira fully to the point where she no longer felt tired.

Kira decided to leave his dorm as the early morning sun peeked over the treetops, tiptoeing back into her own room to get ready for the school day. She knew that her exhaustion was going to creep up on her towards the end of the day, but she refused to let that sway her resolve. Akira decided overnight that she was going to be there every second she could for Kirishima, whatever he needed, she was going to be there.

The day was starting to brighten by the time Kira was changed and ready to join the others downstairs, her limbs aching slightly from her tiresome license exam weekend. She's lost track on the date already, her thoughts adrift and her exhaustion rattling her rationality. It's a Monday - she'll start there.

"Hey!" Mina ambushes her as she pushes the button for the lift. "Any thoughts on what to do for Kirishima's birthday?"

"Oh." Is all she says, as the lift arrives.

Kirishima's birthday - right - it's just under halfway through October right now. It's his birthday this Thursday.

"'Oh?'" Mina copies. "That all you got?"

"Sorry." Kira shakes her head. "I stayed up quite late last night."

Mina's brows slowly raise to her head as they both step into the lift. "Oh yeah? All cuddled up with your-"

"Mina," Kira warns, her tone low.

She's in no mood for teases when Kirishima's state frightens her so much.

"Alright" - Mina waves a dismissive hand - "seriously though... any ideas?"

"He doesn't really..." Kira trails off with a sigh. "I don't know," she mumbles instead.

Maybe she can get him to change his mind about having a birthday party, so no need to set things in stone now.

Mina rushed off to the other girls who had gathered in the kitchen in a hovel to chat about... actually, Kira's not really sure what they discuss in their spare time. She's been so concerned with the license exam retake, her progress with her Quirks, her father's condition and her partner that she hasn't really spent a lot of time with them. Not to mention, her studies have been sorely lacking lately. She's steadily losing her decent grades, her dedication slipping between her fingers.

The lessons during the first half of the day were a bore - Kira allowed her mind to wander to more important things. With the way the exhaustion has her vision clouding at the corners, she's okay with today being a bit hazy and forgetful.

That is until lunch came around and the megaphone blasted around the school grounds, announcing her name and Midoriya's name, commanding them to the faculty room at once. Kira didn't look up from her lunch as the megaphone repeated her and Midoriya's names across the hall, echoing against her ribcage.

Kira wasn't even listening to her friends as they bickered at the lunch table, chatting about whatever gossip they may have discovered over the weekend while Kira trained for her hero license. But, she muttered a hoarse goodbye to them as she pushed her tray aside and joined Midoriya out of the hall.