Chapter 115 - Something Far Worse Than Blood

~~~

"Akira, I think it's too late for that," Mina says, slowly.

"What the hell are you talking about?"

"Well, from everything you told me," Mina explains. "It seems like you already have."

"No," Kira refuses, on the verge of unwanted tears as her voice cracks. "I told you everything, because I wanted you to talk me out of it. Didn't you hear me, Mina? I don't want to. He's vile and vindictive and I feel like he'd rather let other people around him die if it means being number one."

"Whoa, that's harsh," Mina says breathlessly.

"Yeah?" Kira nods. "Well apparently, you don't know him as well as I do. How the hell could I fall in love with someone like that?"

"Maybe you've seen something in him that no one else has," she suggests. "A different side to him."

"If it weren't for Kirishima," Momo says, heaving from all the laughter. "With the way you were talking about him, it almost seemed like you have a crush on him."

Bakugou doesn't say anything, doesn't even grunt. So, she turns her body a fraction to him. "It nearly makes me think that you care about someone other than yourself."

What was it about Bakugou that returned her to her normalities, yet also proceeded to rile her up enough to activate her Atomic power in the first place?

"I don't know how anyone could fall in love with him," she whispers to her beloved. "Katsuki Bakugou is impossible to love."

"You sure 'hate' is the right word?"

"It was you, Kiriya," Midoriya adds, cutting off her complaints. "Bakugou's changed because of you."

Kira remembers everything, the whole year rushes to her like a flood and she tries her hardest to close the gates to stop it from convincing her entirely. But, it's no use. Kira assumed her feelings suddenly appeared as a result of her failed relationship with Kirishima, but they were always there, just hidden behind her desperate rejection. Their secretive conversations, their subtle glances, the way they understand each other. Mina's right - Kira has seen a completely different side to Bakugou, one he refuses to share with anyone other than her. That's why he didn't show Mina how to use the paddle like he did Kira. It's not just her that's noticed his change too, her classmates aren't oblivious to the drastic difference Bakugou has shown during the year. Her father noticed it, her friends noticed it, Midoriya. Kira even unwillingly went easy on Bakugou when they fought once, when her Atomic power unleashed, her Quirk was a cooler green, instead of its blistering white.

This whole thing wasn't a sudden onslaught of emotions, as if she were using Katsuki Bakugou as her own personal, selfish punching bag, it was merely a sudden realisation of her true feelings towards her classmate. But, Kira still isn't sure she wants to listen to it yet. Every time he's near, her heart pounds for him, to feel his hand in hers like it has been one too many times already, but her head is constantly searching for a way out, any sign of his hatred for her, because she hasn't fully accepted it yet. To break up with Kirishima and then suddenly latch onto Bakugou - it's just weird. She needs time for herself, to gather her thoughts together. To find herself.

"Y'know," Kira starts, looking up from the boat to her friend. "Based on how calm you are, something tells me you already knew about all of this."

"Well," Mina slowly drags out the word, looking around the lake to avoid eye contact. "It wasn't just me. All us girls knew that something was going on with you and Bakugou. I just didn't know how big it all was though."