Chapter 137 - A Sentimental Gift

~~~

Parents are not happy. Time and time again, they've put their trust in UA and its stability, but time and time again, that security has been threatened by outside forces. After the students of Class 1A returned from their trip to Nabu Island, it's been challenging for the teachers of UA to convince the rattled parents to believe in its structure. After all, the life of a pro hero is far from easy. It will be difficult and dangerous.

Of course, Kira is frustrated that villain's decided to infiltrate the peaceful island, but they were defeated. Because of them. It seems like Kira's classmates don't want to quit this lifestyle either. They're all still here, in the dormitory, bickering and messing about like nothing even happened. Fighting bad guys doesn't seem to phase them.

Not only that, another measure has been deducted - the hero work study courses have returned. Aizawa had instructed them on the details included and it seems like the hero commission really wants young heroes out in the real world, hence Nabu Island. But, they need supervision, so why not have it from a real pro hero?

But, that's a future problem. Having to find a place for Kira to do her work study is a whole other issue, as even thinking about taking part in such an event brings back shameful memories, where she trained with someone she thought was her mother, the Light Bringer. In truth, it was just a villain in disguise - Himiko Toga. A part of Kira doesn't want to get involved in another work study at all, but this time it's mandatory. So, she doesn't have a choice.

Today... Today is a different kind of event. Something that entails joyful surroundings, sparkling lights and plenty of fattening food. Kira looks down at her Christmas hat, specially made just for her. Everyone has their own unique hat, either red or green. But, that's not all - the ends of everyone's Christmas hats has something to do with that specific person's nature or personality. Kira looks down at her hat again, feeling the plump fluffiness of it and marvels at the glowing green ball at the very end of the hat.

It's a nice touch, really. Kira looks around at her friends, clad in either red or green Christmas jumpers. Midoriya's hat is similar to hers, except with a darker green and a spiky end. It's just like Bakugou's hat, but the end of his is orange. Speaking of, Bakugou isn't the most jovial person to be around, sulking with his hands crammed in his pockets, refusing to join in and be festive. Mina keeps trying to ambush him, forcing him to take part on the cheeriness by chucking the Christmas clothes on him. Kaminari even manages to swipe the hat onto his head at one point.

It's been about a week since Nabu Island. Kira still has thin bandages layered on underneath the Christmas gear, though it's just for show really. She's fully healed, but whether that's from Recovery Girl or not, she isn't sure. Either way, she feels back to her regular self. Physically, anyway. Her mind is in shambles, clinging onto another version of herself. A version where she's locked in space and time with Katsuki Bakugou. She can't seem to tear her eyes away from him since they returned to UA. But, she has to admit that she feels like her yearning gaze is being reciprocated.

Why is she waiting for him to do something? Why can't she approach him and say all the things she needs to say? It's not that she's worried about what his reply could be, right? Is she scared of rejection? Humiliation?

Sato reveals a large plate with a shining turkey on it, surrounded with details and decorations, lining the meat with all sorts of Christmas orientated treats. It looks amazing, with steam wafting off the fresh food, spreading a mouth-watering smell around the dormitory. Kira can't wait to dig in to the food that Sato has prepared, as she slips her head into the Christmas hat, licking her apparently starving lips.

As everyone practically lunges for the dishes set out on the tables, the presents tucked under the tree catch her eye. She doesn't know when everyone was able to buy presents for each other, as Kira only just managed to find some suitable gifts a few days ago. On the weekend, Kira and a few of her friends had managed to leave the constricting confines of the dormitory and travelled down the hill to the nearest available shops. It was difficult to hide her chosen presents from her friends, especially with how nosy they can be, but she was able to buy something for everyone, even if some of them are small and probably meaningless. She even found something for Bakugou. She just has to wait for the right time to give it to him.