Heroes Rising (Part Five)

~~~

"You alright there, Akira?" 

Mina's round, inquisitive eyes poke out from the side of her computer screen, as Kira stares at her hand in front of her face, her elbow propped up on the desk. She's been on desk duty for most of the day, after having been so active yesterday and also staying out late on patrol with Bakugou. Her classmates don't need to know about the kids and their prank.

"I'm fine," Kira mumbles her reply, her eyes still locked on her hand.

There's the scoot of a chair moving on wood and Kira spots Mina leaning far to her left in order to see her properly, her head resting on her arm. "You sure? Because - I mean - you've been staring at your hand all day."

Kira blinks softly, Mina's curious expression clearing up and coming into view behind her hand. She scoffs lightly and tucks her hand under her desk. "I'm just tired."

Mina nods slowly, her eyes narrowing sceptically as she hums. "You sure this has nothing to do with your late night stroll with Bakugou?"

"Oh, would you butt out, Mina?" Kira responds, a little harsher than she intended, though her friend doesn't seem the slightest bit deterred by the insult. "You're the one that made me go out."

"I didn't make you-"

"Mina," Kira says, her tone low and scolding.

Mina scoots her chair back in front of her computer screen, taking note of Kira's warning. But, then the sound of metal scraping on wood alerts Kira of Mina's undying interest. "You didn't deny it."

Kira turns her head back, noticing Bakugou in his normal black clothes, not even bothering to wear his hero attire. He's lying with his back to the floor, his head propped up on a cushion, reading a magazine. He's not paying her any attention. Is Kira letting her thoughts get the better of her again? Did their experience on the beach together simply mean nothing to Bakugou? But, his eyes... his skin... his apology.

Kira turns back to her friend, her head lowered slightly. "Nothing happened."

Mina looks like she's about to argue, but her phone rings and their conversation disappears. She stands up at her desk abruptly, addressing the other person on the other side of the phone. "Oh no!" Mina blurts. "Missing luggage? Yes- of course- yep, I can send some heroes straight away!" She places the phone back down. "Anyone available to look for missing luggage down at the shopping centre?"

"I'm free!" Toru yells, jumping up and down. "I'll go! I'll go! Aoyama, you come with me."

Aoyama agrees to help, while Mineta complains about how many missing suitcase requests they receive.

"She sounded pretty cute, you know?" Mina teases, hoping to persuade Mineta to assist his classmates. "Maybe you can-"

"Say no more!" Mineta interrupts, leaping off his chair. "I'm on the way!"

Kira rolls her eyes and stares at her phone. It's quiet today - she's only taken a few phone calls and sent out who she believes will be better suited for the job. Minor problems like missing pets, missing kids. Most of the time, it's actually the islanders wanting to just simply talk to them. Kira spares a few minutes, but the line is reserved for emergencies.

The call centre is calm and peaceful - most of the students are outside already, enjoying the sun and ensuring that everyone is safe. Shoji, Tsu and Ojiro are at the beach, Tokoyami's on patrol, Midoriya went to tend to some of the neighbouring fields. Others are out on certain tasks better suited to their Quirks. Only a few remained at the call centre, but with how simple the 'emergencies' have been, the replacements of her classmates is frequent.