Chapter 95 - Petty Thievery

~~~

The next few days went by quickly - too quickly. Kira was falling behind, in more ways than one. Her studies were lacking still, she was isolating herself from her classmates, nearly drowning in the issues that dawned on her everyday. Her main concern right now was Kirishima and Kirishima only. With the way he's been acting lately... it frightened her.

But now, Kira had been training with Midoriya for nearly an hour now - the sun is still moderately high in the sky but fails to produce any heat in the October air. They'd been sparring without rest and Kira had just been knocked on her ass by Izuku Midoriya. Again.

"Ow," she grumbles, rubbing her lower back.

Midoriya doesn't bother asking if she's okay, he's been doing it the entire evening. He instead offers her a hand back to her feet, his eyes still expressing concern. Not over her being flung back by his punches every few seconds - he's kept the same look on her ever since they left the staff room. After Aizawa confessed a few truths to the both of them about Toga and her Quirk.

"Would you stop?" Kira mumbles, brushing her backside off of any wet grass. "I can't focus with you staring at me like that the whole time."

"I'm staring because you're not acting like yourself," he argues. "I'm never able to get this many wins in a row. Something's going on with you."

"You mean besides the potentially crappy news I got on Monday?" Kira bites back. "Yeah, it's been on my mind."

"Well, did you want to stop and talk about it?"

Kira shakes her head. "No, I wanna learn how to control this damn Quirk of mine." She looks around quickly. "And my other one."

Midoriya nods at her response, readying himself for another assault. He launches feet first and Kira steps to the side. He notices this movement and swings his other leg around whilst twisting his body in midair. Such mobility he has now that Kira is genuinely startled as she has to duck under his harsh boot.

Green sparks erupt from his body and Kira flashes quickly, light exploding from her left palm to blind her opponent. Midoriya was ready for that specific attack as he had draped his forearm over his eyes. Kira decides to attempt a brisk, sudden punch, her knuckles swinging under and connecting with Midoriya's strong gut. The bones in her hand complain about the sudden impact but she grits her teeth and sends Midoriya rocketing back into a tree trunk.

He cries out from the assault and Kira instantly feels guilty, dropping her arms and rushing over to crumpled boy.

"God, that was too hard," she winces. "I'm sorry, Midoriya."

He shakes his head quickly, as he gets to his feet, clutching his stomach. "No," he wheezes. "I was waiting for you to wake up."

"Wake up?" Kira scoffs.

"Yeah." He nods, rubbing some dirt from his shoulder. "You look like you've been in a dream-state the whole time we've been sparring. It's not like you."

Kira stares off at a pale patch of grass, wondering how much she should share with her empathetic classmate, so she merely shrugs.

Midoriya straightens at her response, or lack thereof. "You wanna talk about it?" He asks, his voice quiet and tender. "Does it... have anything to do with Kirishima?" He adds, gingerly.

Her eyes widen ever so slightly at the mention of her partner. Midoriya's neither blind nor oblivious - she's just surprised he didn't bring him up sooner. After all, her attitude changed after she met him again.

"No." She shakes her head, looking her classmate in the eye. "It's not him. It's... everything else. I've learnt quite a few things recently that have made me... worry?"