Chapter 64 - A Simple Act Of Gratitude

~~~

Day two of her house arrest - Akira's last day before she's able to jump back into the fold of learning. Based on the way her classmates returned yesterday, she was already missing out on a lot of new information. It was killing her to have to scrub the bathrooms to sparkling cleanliness, but afterwards, when she could spot her own reflection in the bathtub, it was an unknowing satisfactory welcome that embraced her.

The boys argued today - she could hear them through the walls and five times she had to storm out of the adjacent rooms to shut the squabbling duo up.

It's clear that whatever they fought about a few days ago has lit a new fire in both their hearts, Midoriya especially. Now, whenever Bakugou fires an insult, Midoriya always has a quip to hurl back, whether it's witty or not. Most of the time, he just repeats what Bakugou says, irking the blonde even more.

One time, Kira ran out from one of the rooms to find Bakugou holding the coffee table above Midoriya's head, ready to slam it down on top of him with all his might.

That pushed her to use her Quirk against the two of them, blinding them momentarily and giving them a harsh lecture that made her sound like her mother. The thought of it made her cringe.

Kira finally left the bathroom, rubbing some dirt from her shirt when she paused midstep, hearing the two voices of Bakugou and Midoriya. But, they weren't arguing. It sounded like they were having an actual conversation.

Akira squinted as if that would help her hear and tiptoed to the wall, flattening her body against it. Her classmates would be back any second and would completely ruin this rare moment of Bakugou and Midoriya having what sounds like a civilised conversation.

Kira slid around the wall, her back to it, straining to hear the words being said. She heard Midoriya's voice uttering his nickname for Bakugou a few times, but still couldn't form any coherent sentences.

She crept a little closer, her curiosity nagging at her nosy self.

"We can't tell her," Kira suddenly manages to hear. By the hoarseness of the voice, it must be Bakugou. "That idiot will spill her guts to everyone."

"I don't know, Kacchan," Midoriya's voice replies uneasily. "She did tell a lot about herself to us. We could easily betray her trust."

"Tch, you better keep your mouth closed, Deku," Bakugou snaps. "We don't even know if she was telling the truth. You said it yourself: you saw her that night. This person she calls her father could easily be a member of the League."

"I don't think so."

"Oh yeah? Were you taken by the villains that day?" Bakugou's voice rises in anger. "I know those bastards. They wouldn't take in some random idiot off the street."

"So, you think Kiriya's father is in trouble?"

"She already knows of the danger," Bakugou says quietly. "She was there too, you damn nerd."

A pause.

"Kacchan..."

Another pause.

"What?"

"You probably know her better than any of us. After all, you two have been through the most."

"So?"

"So... do you really trust her or not?"

Kira waits for an answer to whatever Midoriya may be referring to exactly, when the double doors fly open and Kira immediately recognises the bellowing voices of her classmates.