Chapter 57 - The Final Phase (Part Two)

~~~

Somewhere to the left of her, Kira can hear the voices of some of her classmates including: Ojiro, Mina and Tokoyami.

"We gotta catch up!" Ojiro yells, his voice sounding distant.

"What about Tsu?" Mina questions and Kira can hear the sound of their hurried footsteps growing fainter and fainter.

"She'll be fine," Tokoyami assures. "She's the best one equipped for the river zone anyway."

"Todoroki's already gone on ahead!" Ojiro says. "All the civilians at the First Aid station are gonna need some help."

"You're right!" Mina replies, her voice quiet now.

Her classmate's footsteps eventually fade away, and Kira curses her cowardice. If she keeps hiding away like this, then she's going to fail for sure. The eyes of that actor still haunt her mind whenever she allows a second of plagued, hesitant thoughts to enter her brain. But, she can't keep playing this waiting game forever. The least Kira can do is go help fight Gang Orca and keep him away from the First Aid Station.

With one final burst of forced heroism, Akira leaps from the sloped rock, using her Quirk to assist with her descent. She can see her three classmates skid down the hill on a few pieces of debris, while Todoroki uses his ice to gain the speed advantage towards Gang Orca. He's made it down the hill way before the others, ice crackling up the right side of his body, as he faces off against Gang Orca alongside Inasa Yoarashi from Shiketsu.

But, something's wrong - Kira can tell. They're both trying to fight against Gang Orca and the villains, but their Quirk's aren't compatible together, it seems. Todoroki whirls to Yaorashi, floating high in the air with his Quirk. She can see her classmate arguing, fury etched onto his features, but from this distance, she can't make out his words.

They both try to attack Gang Orca at the same time, but their Quirk's clash once again, Yaorashi's wind sending Todoroki's fire hurtling in a completely different direction. Gang Orca just stands there, both unphased and displeased with the future pro heroes.

If they don't get a hang of their situation soon, someone's going to get seriously hurt, either by Gang Orca's hand, or their own. Her prediction's correct however, as for the third time, Todoroki and Yaorashi send an attack towards Gang Orca simultaneously. The pro hero doesn't even flinch as the two unique Quirks collide and a wave of fire is sent soaring elsewhere... straight towards Yo Shindo.

As Kira nears the scene, she looks around, but there's nobody nearby to save the student from being reduced to ash.

Except her.

Shindo's too dazed to even realise the danger he's in. He must have been ambushed by Gang Orca before she could get there in time, which means there's no way he's going to be able to save himself in time from Todoroki's accidental attack.

Kira pushes her thoughts and feelings about rescuing civilians and trusts her instincts. She uses her Quirk in her palms to launch herself across the distance to reach the endangered student, slipping in front of the scorching flames just in time. Kira creates a shield to protect her and Yo Shindo, the heat hitting against the barrier with such intense force that it nearly shatters her Quirk.

Kira's momentum doesn't stop there - she collides into Shindo all while bringing up her shield, causing the both of them to roll out of harms way and crash into the wall surrounding the arena.

Kira groans, rubbing the back of her head, while Shindo shakes himself back to consciousness. She helps the student to his feet and he stares at her, his eyes wide.

"Thanks," he whispers, still holding onto her hand.

She looks down at their hands entwined and she shrugs it off, taking her hand back and brushing the ashy residue from her costume.