Chapter 2 - Makings Of A Hero

~~~

Five Years Ago

"I'm so sorry, Akira." Her mother knelt in front of her, wrapping her arms around her head.

Kira stared at the television through her mother's hair.

'The shocking event that happened just moments ago... containing four casualties and one fatality.'

Light Bringer's assistant switched off the television and Kira slowly closed her eyes, her tears soaking her mother's shirt.

~

Present Day

"You moron! I'll kill you!"

"Too slow."

Bakugou appears furious, explosions crackling in between his fingers as he storms over to Kira. She never knew someone could emit such rage. 

"Now's no time to fight you two!" Kirishima says suddenly, standing in between the two in his hardened state.

Kira follows his pointed finger as a much larger robot ploughs through a building. It sets its sights on the contenders, swinging down an enormous hand. It collides into another building, causing debris to rain down on them all.

"I'll murder this damn thing!" Bakugou roars, a grin forming.

"There's no point!" Kirishima adds. "It's zero points."

He's right. In white paint, it clearly details zero points. Bakugou isn't paying attention. He launches himself into the air, meeting the robot at eye level.

"Die!" He screams, aiming both his hands at the face of the robot.

"He's on his own." Kirishima shakes his head almost shamefully.

Akira nods, before retreating with him. The other students seem to be screaming in horror or maybe fear.

"Look out!" Kira shouts suddenly, shoving a random student out of the way of falling debris.

Kira sneaks a peek back at Bakugou, as he fires another round at the robot. It merely stumbles at the impact. He doesn't seem to be winning. Judging from the fury from his expression, he knows it. He's gonna die. The teachers wouldn't let him get seriously hurt, would they? What does she care? It's his fault for going after it in the first place.

~

Seven Years Ago

"Light Bringer has done it again!" The commentator beamed on the television.

Kira sar on the carpeted floor, her hands wrapped around her dress anxiously. She didn't know why she had to worry - her mother's a pro hero - the Light Bringer!

"Light Bringer," Her mother scoffed, combing a stray bit of dark hair from her face. "I still hate it."

"But it's the truth," the commentator added. "You bring light wherever you go."

"If you say so."

The camera panned up to the nearby building, the fire finally having been extinguished.

"Thank you, Light Bringer!" One of the victims cried, ash and dirt covering her face and clothes. "Thank you so much."

"Just be more careful in future," Light Bringer told them, practically wagging her finger at them.

They nodded so quickly that their hair flicked all over the place, before being whisked away by the paramedics.

"What's this?" The commentator frowned, gesturing for the cameraman to direct it at the building once more.