Heroes Rising (Part Four)

~~~

Her voice betrays her. Her body betrays her. Her mind betrays her. Katsuki Bakugou has just uttered such a vulnerable and honest truth to Kira and she merely stands there in the shallow water of the sea, staring up at her classmate with complete disbelief and devotion. She has already forgiven Bakugou for that day, for everything he said to her. She's not a fool to how arguments start and how quickly they get out of hand - she's had her fair share of disagreements with Light Bringer before she disappeared.

Kira's eyes flicker to their hands still clasped together, their fingers ever so slightly intertwined with one another, like this notion is such a compelling taste of something starting. This touch is a new addition to their already complex relationship, something she wants to witness more often. She wants to know what his skin feels like against her fingertips, her palms, if its warmth will radiate through her body like she imagined it would.

Kira's thoughts are about to consume her, but a considerate wave smashes against her legs, stealing those alluring ideals away from her. She pulls away from Bakugou, holding her hand to her chest in a tight ball, as if that will somehow cradle his heat for a few seconds longer. Still, her voice is in no state to form coherent structures, so Kira allows her body to do the talking. She takes a disorientated step backwards, feeling the swirling water tickling her toes and rushes out of the shore, kicking up the sea in her wake.

Without looking back, Kira buries her sodden feet into her boots and scoops up her gauntlets. Her mind is on a constant rollercoaster: soaring on her highs of Bakugou's nature, his touch, his eyes, but she keeps convincing herself that she's merely imagining things. But, she didn't imagine those words, did she?

"I'm sorry, Kiriya."

He said her name. Katsuki Bakugou said her name. He's never said anyone's name before, at least not from what she's heard.

Kira's on the verge of running back to the call centre, heading back the way she came with such an urgent rush that she's leaning forwards in her movements, gripping her gauntlets tight to her chest. She steals a glance down at her hand, but realises that warmth she felt from Bakugou is long gone. She misses it dearly. It's almost agony.

"Does it hurt?"

"Yeah."

"Then you have your answer."

Kira shakes her head - the last thing she needs is to have her absent father's words ringing in her brain, telling her information she already knows. She knows Bakugou's following her, his growing presence causing a chill to travel up her spine, but she ignores it, shoves it aside. His truth is more than she can handle right now. He spilled so much to her in those cramped few seconds that she doesn't know how to process it all.

First, he said that he hated the way she looked at him. She must be gazing up at him more than she meant to, revealing her true feelings like an open book, marvelling up at his beauty like an idiot. Oh, how that embarrassed her. She can't help it when every visage of his uniqueness struck her so unequivocally that it feels impossible to tear her eyes away.

Secondly, he mentioned something else... It was hard to catch the intentions hidden underneath his muttering, so she isn't sure what Bakugou meant when he revealed those words. It's like he didn't mean to say it out loud to begin with.

But, that apology.

It sinks deep into her gut, causing a flustered smile to spread across her cheeks as she power-walks back to the call centre. She's glad that Bakugou's behind her so he doesn't notice her moment of weakness. Technically, he is her weakness.