Chapter 99 - In The Corner Of Her Eye

~~~

Akira barely listened to her teacher's throughout the day, busy with keeping her thoughts in check. She didn't talk to her friends. She gave Kirishima his space. Didn't participate in the lessons. Bakugou's bipolar behaviour confused her. Does he act this way with just her, or is he like this with Midoriya or Kirishima too?

She could always ask the former seeing as he's known Bakugou the longest. She doesn't doubt he knows everything about his childhood friend too, not just his Quirk abilities.

Kira found herself staring down at her hands as she walked behind the flock of students she's grown to call her dorm buddies, pondering on her Quirks.

Kirishima had asked for a break. Now, Kira wasn't absolutely positive that this was just about Kirishima's progress. Maybe he had doubts about them together, though Kira isn't sure where he could have felt the rejection. She was with him, she knew that much.

Whatever the case, Kirishima wanted a break. From her.

This would give her the time to work through her own foggy emotions, progress on her healing Quirk and try to find a way to help her father... before she lost him for good.

"Kiriya." She pauses at her name, noticing Aizawa's quick stride to catch up with her. "You're coming with me."

"I am?" She turns to him.

He frowns at her reply. "I told you yesterday. After lessons today, I was to accompany you to the police station where you can give your statement about the recent incident you were involved in."

Kira squeezes her eyes shut, with a forgetful groan. "Of course," she mumbles. "I'd... forgotten."

"Clearly."

Aizawa accompanies Kira back inside the walls of UA, leading her to the teacher's car parking area. He doesn't offer another word as they climb into the vehicle and Aizawa starts to pull away from the school.

"So, how is this going to work?" Kira asks.

Aizawa turns his head slightly, but keeps his eyes on the road. "You'll be taken into a room, where you'll be questioned on your participation on the event."

"Yeah," she scoffs quietly. "I got that bit. I mean, with me." Kira taps her fingers to her chest. "Last I heard about it, I can't legally be questioned without a parental guardian present. I'm still underage."

Aizawa turns his head for a few seconds, his eyes boring into her own and not on the road before them. "Well, I guess it's a good thing that you have a parent, isn't it?"

"Wait," she argues. "I know I told you about my father being alive, but he can't be here for this!"

"Why not?" Aizawa wonders, looking back at the road.

"Be- because he's been confirmed dead all these years!" Kira blurts.

Aizawa appears sceptical, his brows tight together, but he doesn't offer a response.

"Mr Aizawa," Kira says slowly, gazing down at her fingernails, fiddling with the skin nervously.

"Hm?"

"When- when I told you about my father, you didn't seem all that surprised," she adds, looking up at her teacher. "You already knew about him, didn't you?"

Aizawa sighs heavily. "I wasn't certain, but you're not very capable at keeping secrets, Kiriya."

"You're a real shitty liar," he says.

"So, I've been told," she mutters. "Why haven't you done anything about it?"

"I wanted to see for myself."