Chapter 14 - Her Strange Behaviour

~~~

The week was long and hard. Kira felt her body break repeatedly in every attempt to be better and stronger than her mother. Kira had the impression that her mother secretly wanted more than that - for her daughter to be better than everyone. Even so, Kira should be striving for the top to begin with. All this talk about wanting to be the next Light Bringer when her abilities are far more evolved than that.

"When do we start?" Kira says, dropping her school bag with Light Bringer's assistant.

"Right away," Light Bringer replies, leading Kira towards the back of the house, where their acres surround the building.

"Can't I get changed first?"

"No," she says simply. "This will be a good opportunity to train you in any outfit you may be wearing. You could encounter a villain on your way back from school one day. I doubt they'll stop and let you change into your outfit before you fight."

"Was that a joke?" Kira scoffs as she ties her hair back.

Her mother stays silent as she too ties her hair back off her face.

"What first?" Kira questions, stretching out her limbs.

"Same as always." Light Bringer stands in front of Kira, not even bothering to stretch out. "Close combat. Then we'll see."

They fought for hours. Instead of pushing onwards, Light Bringer allowed Kira to rest. It was odd... a nicer side to her mother. What happened to the one that lectured her on her first day back?

"Will I be heading out with you on your patrols?" Kira wonders, sipping some water.

"Do you have your provisional license?" She counters.

"Not yet."

"Then no."

Kira frowns, not meaning to pout. It would have been fun to test her powers out in the real world.

"Besides," Light Bringer shrugs, tossing her own water to the ground. "You still need to gain control over your Quirk."

Light Bringer teases with two fingers, gesturing for Kira to come at her, so she does. Kicking and punching, dodging and countering - Kira gives her all against her mother, but she doesn't even seem to need to use her powers against her.

Is she really that weak?

After what seems like another two hours, the sun starts to creep over their heads and Light Bringer glances at her watch on her wrist.

"Patrol." She sighs. "I'll be back soon and then we can focus on starting to use your Quirk."

Kira nods in silence, watching her mother enter the house, wiping sweat off her forehead. Whatever mood she's in, she's starting to feel like a mother again.

Throughout the second half of the week, Light Bringer helped Kira with her Quirk more than her physical front.

"I've seen what you can do already, Kira," she says, prepping a set of dummies and obstacles to fight against. "I had my sidekicks prep these for you to focus your powers."

"Why can't I just fight against you?" Kira frowns at the weird shaped objects.

"I can't always be here," she answers lightly punching one of the dummies, its head rattling side to side. "When I'm away, you can keep practicing."

Kira takes a step forwards. "You're not going anywhere, are you?"

"Not right now." Light Bringer actually smiles, something Kira hasn't seen for a very long time.