Chapter 118 - Their Convoluted Connection

~~~

Akira is greeted by a smooth, white ceiling and the smell of flowers. She turns her head to the large glass window beside her, taking up the entirety of the wall, the sun peering through a haze of anxious, grey clouds.

"There you are." Kira turns her head to the other side, spotting Mr Aizawa. "It's about time you woke up."

"Mr Aizawa?" She frowns, her throat rough and parched.

"What am I supposed to do with you?" He adds with a deep sigh.

Kira starts to regain the comfort of consciousness, looking around at her surroundings frantically, before sitting up abruptly and patting down her arms. "Where am I? What's going on?" She blurts.

"Relax," Aizawa says, stepping forwards. "You're in the hospital, where I can keep an eye on you." He looks at her for a moment, as if analysing her. "It seems to me like you have everything under control now."

"Hospital?" Kira breathes out heavily. "Why here?"

"Well, I have to stay close to Eri," her teacher explains. "You remember her?" Kira nods. "Her Quirk is more dangerous and unpredictable than yours, if you can believe it."

"Right..." Kira whispers, before her eyes widen and her head snaps up to Aizawa. "What day is it!? I'm supposed to be at the provisional license exam!"

Aizawa tries to halt her panic with two raised palms. "Given the nature of everything that happened, UA has been excused. But, just this once."

"But... what happened?" She asks, relaxing slightly, but completely confused. "The last thing I remember was... feeling my Quirk start to cool down and- how did I get here?"

"From what Present Mic told me, you collapsed at the scene. You burnt Bakugou pretty good too while you were at it."

"What? I did?"

Aizawa sighs heavily. "Look, I don't know all the details, but he was the one to bring you in here. Seems like you owe him both a thank you and an apology."

"Yeah." Kira scoffs. "I owe that to everyone."

"Seeing as you're fine now..."

Aizawa turns to leave but Kira halts him, her legs scooting off the hospital bed. "Wait! What now?" She wonders. "I'm clearly a danger. You should quarantine me like Eri."

Her teacher hesitates before turning back to her. "It's not out of the question," he replies truthfully. "Your Quirk was... ten times more powerful than the last time this happened. Or, so I've been told..." Kira nods sadly. Part of her wanted Aizawa to disagree with her. "However," he adds and Kira looks back to him slowly. "Just because your Quirk is strong, dangerous and unpredictable doesn't mean we're going to give up, Kiriya. Just like Eri - her Quirk is probably far more difficult to control and understand, but no one is giving up. So, you shouldn't too."

Kira ponders on Aizawa's words, his meaning, his sincerity. "You're right..." She whispers. "Eri's faced a much harder life than mine."

"Now, she's not accepting any visitors at the moment, as she still poses a significant threat," he starts, crossing his arms over his chest. "But, as I'll be there to erase her Quirk should anything go wrong, would you like to see her? Would that give you peace of mind?"

"Yeah, I think so." Kira nods.

Aizawa returns the nod and so she follows him out of her hospital room and down the corridor, her bare feet padding on the ground, echoing through the vacant building. It seems as though this floor was especially quiet - must have something to do with Eri's capabilities. Kira smoothed down her blue hospital gown as Aizawa stopped outside a room. He sent Kira a look, but she couldn't place the meaning behind it and he let himself inside Eri's room.