Chapter 161 - Her Anchor

~~~

Kira and Fuyumi sit there, smiling warmly at one another, the time ticking by, before the sliding door opens again. The dishes have been cleared up, the table spotless, as Kira's friends sit themselves down, bringing a few cups of water with them. Bakugou brings her cup, placing it down on the table in front of her before choosing to sit beside her. Midoriya sits at the end, while Todoroki rests beside Fuyumi.

Kira stares at her cup, deep in thought. "Forgive me for intruding," she speaks up, muttering slightly. "But, I can't help but notice how much your brother... hates your father." She looks up at Todoroki and Fuyumi, but doesn't really expect either of them to answer her curiosity. "Is there something I'm missing? I know that it's been... difficult for you... since you were kids, but" - she looks to Bakugou beside her, in case he's warning her to keep her mouth shut, but his eyes hold the same level of interest that she's feeling inside - "how come Natsuo doesn't share your forgiveness?"

Fuyumi turns to Todoroki, tilting her head slightly. "You didn't tell them?" She wonders. Todoroki keeps quiet, so Fuyumi simply sighs heavily, before addressing the students. "It's been harder for Natsuo to forgive father for what he's done because-" she falters, looking like she's holding back tears. Kira's already kicking herself for opening her mouth in the first place. "Because, we had another brother."

"Another brother?" Midoriya repeats, beating Kira to the punch.

"I thought you four were close," Fuyumi adds, looking around at the students and then to Todoroki. "So, I figured you would have told them all about Touya."

"It's not exactly an easy subject to broach," Todoroki replies.

Fuyumi looks away from her brother thoughtfully, before facing Kira and the others. "Natsu and Touya were incredibly close when we were growing up," she tells them. "They spent their days playing together." She pauses, regaining her rattled composure. "It happened soon after our mother was hospitalised. Somehow... her condition got even worse when she was committed, to the point that Shoto couldn't even go to see her. But, things have gotten much better. Especially since Shoto started visiting. Our family's been making progress," she adds with a proud smile, before it slowly drops again. "Except Natsu. He can't let go of his anger towards our dad. In his mind, our father basically killed Touya."

"That's why..." Kira whispers, scoffing slightly, looking up to meet Fuyumi's sad expression. "That explains why he's been acting the way he has. Why he looks so... distressed."

"I'm sorry," Fuyumi says. "I didn't mean to drop all of this on you."

The door slides open, interrupting their discussion - it's Endeavour, telling Kira and the others that it's time to head back to UA. Fuyumi agrees to accompany them all to the front door, apologising again for the thousandth time for the bombshell she dropped on them.

Endeavour and Fuyumi lead the students to the front door, where Kira shoves her feet inside her shoes and picks up her bag, hoisting it over her shoulder, before throwing her scarf around her neck. Fuyumi grabs her white coat, as they make their way to the same car that dropped them off in the first place. The driver is the same man as before too, waiting patiently for the young heroes to bid their goodbyes.

"Thank you for the meal!" Midoriya exclaims, showing his gratitude with a brisk bow. "It was super delicious, I mean it!"

"Glad you liked it," Fuyumi replies, the cold air chilling her breath.

Kira steps towards the older girl, placing her hand on her upper arm, just under the shoulder. "Remember what I said," she whispers, offering her a kind, optimistic smile. "Don't give up on your family."