Chapter 70 - Iida In Trouble!

~~~

Akira's eyes open with a flash. It was dark and unbearably quiet. The collapsed rocks had created a whirlwind of dust and dirt in the air, causing Kira to cough and blink rapidly. She landed heavily, a stabbing pain echoing up her lower back. But, that wasn't all - there was an exceptional pain in her right hand. When Kira cranes her neck to the side, her hand has been lost underneath a sea of rocks.

Her eyes widen in panic. How long has she been lying here? Where are her classmates? Kira tries to tug her arm free, but it only causes a spasm of pain to travel up her bones. She curses several times under her breath, trying to reposition herself so she can wriggle free.

"Akira?" Tsu's voice from somewhere in the darkness. "Is that you?"

Kira wants to respond, to let them know she's okay, but she also doesn't want them to know about her injury. In this group, only Midoriya knows about her healing Quirk. But, not only that, Kira doesn't want to come across as a burden to the others now, not when they've only just started their search for the citizen that needs rescuing.

Kira manages to sit up slightly, her hand still trapped up to the wrist. She can feel the tough rock scratching against her skin - it must have cracked right through her gauntlet. If it weren't for Mei Hatsume's strong materials, the injury could have been a lot worse. With great difficulty, Kira brings her feet up so she's in a tight ball, her knees continuously whacking her in the cheek for her efforts and pushes the large rock away with the soles of her boots.

"I think she's over here!" Ochaco's voice this time.

They must be able to hear Kira's exertions. She can hear her classmates growing closer and closer with each desperate lift of the rubble. Just a little further.

The rock starts to tilt until Kira's able to yank her hand out and allows the rock to fall back into place. Kira examines her wound quickly before her friends make it over to her. It isn't pretty: it's already swollen and become blue around the main wound. Two of her fingers are bent at awkward angles around the phalanges.

"Dammit," she mutters under her breath.

She only has a few seconds until her classmates are upon her. She's making it sound like it's such a bad thing. In a way, it is.

Kira's still unaware of how her Quirk works exactly. If she leaves her fingers as is, will they heal at this awkward angle, or will they slither their way back into shape? Does Kira have to bend them back into shape first? She honestly doesn't think she has the willpower to snap her two fingers back again. But it's not like she can ask her friends for help.

"Dammit," she says again.

Kira digs into one of her pockets for a bandage roll, her eyes already watering to prepare herself for the pain. What other choice did she have? Kira bites down on the bandage roll and wrenches her ring finger back to normal first. She screams out into the bandage, a high-pitched ringing piercing her ears. She can't stop now. With the adrenaline still coursing through her, Kira pulls her middle finger, feeling the crack up her arm.

She squeezes her eyes shut, her head hammering and her hand throbbing. Kira takes out the bandage from her mouth, her breath wobbly from the sudden experience to intense pain. Kira takes a fresh bandage roll from her pocket and wraps it several times around her fragile hand, looping it around her wrist, then her thumb, then her broken fingers, then back to the start, until it's nice and snug.

Midoriya, Ochaco and Tsu finally meet up with Akira just as she was finishing wrapping her wound, which was difficult to do with one hand.

"Jeez, what happened, Akira?" Ochaco wonders.