Chapter 32 - Dorm Room Competition

~~~

After about another half an hour or so, the other girls finally decided to make an appearance.

"About time!" Kira calls, spinning on the sofa to face them.

"Yeah, what took you all so long?" Kirishima wonders.

"Well, we're gonna be staying here now!" Mina answers, rolling her eyes at the both of them. "It's gotta look like home."

Kira nods in understanding. Perhaps she should have spent longer fitting into her dorm room.

"Anyways!" She jumps on the spot. "Us girls have been talking and-"

"We have the best idea!" Toru interrupts.

Kira frowns - why wasn't she a part of this 'girl's idea'?

"Let's go around and see who has the coolest room!" Mina suggests.

Kira sighs, rubbing her neck. "I don't know, Mina. It's getting pretty late now. I mean, who knows what Mr Aizawa has in store for us tomorrow. We should be getting as much shut-eye as we can."

"Oh come on!" She practically pouts.

"It won't take that long," Toru insists.

"You mean checking out all twenty rooms?" She quips, glaring at the invisible girl. "Sure, it won't take long at all."

"It could be fun," Kirishima says with a half-hearted shrug.

Before anyone else can protest, the girls spin on their heels and make their way towards the first room. Grumbling, Kira stands up from the sofa - she was pretty curious to see what everyone's rooms looked like.

"Kira." She stops at the sound of her name and turns, spotting Kirishima staring at his phone. "Bak- uh... me... I need to talk to you... about something."

She blinks at him. "Is it important? Can't it wait until tomorrow?" The lift bell dings as her classmates load onto it.

"No," he replies bluntly, as his phone vibrates in his hand again.

The lift ascends with the others and Kira sighs heavily, rubbing her tired eyes. "Okay." She nods. "Okay."

However, instead of spilling his guts, he heads for the lift, pressing the button to summon it once more. Kira hesitantly stands next to him, waiting for that familiar ding to resonate. Whatever he wanted to talk about, it seemed serious.

They step inside the lift, as Kirishima presses the button for floor four. She frowns at his silence and he glances at his phone once more when it vibrates loudly in the confines of the metal box.

Kira sighs irritably, stepping over and jabbing the yellow button, stopping the lift halfway through their ascent. Kirishima places his phone by his side, ignoring the aggressive vibrating and instead focuses on the tired girl in front of him.

"What is it?" Kira blurts, crossing her arms over her chest.

She didn't mean to snap - she just wanted nothing more than to be wrapped up in her warm, new blankets. The last thing she ever wanted to do was take her frustration out on him.

Kirishima doesn't reply, as if his tongue is caught up in the millions of thoughts scattered around his mind. It's then she notices how distraught he appears: his brows are knotted together; the corner of his lips curling at the corners; his usual glimmer of excitement absent from his eyes. Kira has never seen Kirishima portray a quality besides undying charisma, but now as his phone screen flashes across his features, Kira's heart aches at being so utterly oblivious to how he must really be feeling.