Chapter 10 - The Second Task - Cavalry Race!

~~~

Seven Years Ago

"Did you win?" Young Kira wondered, just as the Sports Festival came to an end on the television.

"Unfortunately, no," Light Bringer admitted with a sigh. "And it was my own fault. I was determined to keep to myself, so that I would only have to worry about myself. But, like I said, the Sports Festival has a variety of different tasks and so my decision to be independent hindered my success."

Kira gazed up at her mother. She's never known her to lose - not to anything.

"Don't make my mistake, Akira," she added. "When it comes to it, trust your partners and trust your instincts."

~

Present Day

Kira stares up at the board, one arm crossed over her waist, her other hand placed thoughtfully on her chin. Everyone's on a short break before the next task begins, but Kira can't move.

Poor Midoriya has ten million points placed on him, making it impossible for him to win during the next task. Every team is going to be aiming for him and those ten million points. If that happens, then won't it be wiser to strike the lesser team's, and gain points that way? Either way, Kira still has to decide who is best to group up with. She has one hundred and seventy points to her name, a dangerous place to be.

"Okay, everybody!" Midnight's voice echoes around the stadium. "Break's over!"

Kira sighs deeply. Teaming up with Todoroki or Bakugou would probably be best. They're both powerful and talented and with the most points. She glances over at Todoroki, noticing a crowd of students begging to be chosen, but it seems he already has his mind made up.

Before Kira can even turn around, a hand latches onto the back of her shirt collar, dragging her backwards to a spot on the field.

"You'll be on the right side," Bakugou states blankly.

Kira's too confused to process what's going on. "Huh?"

"When the enemies get close, you use your stupid flashy thing you do," he explains, ignoring her now and turning to Kirishima and Sero.

Bakugou chose her to be on his team? She doesn't even have to fight for a place in his team. She shrugs then, accepting it altogether. As much as she doesn't want to admit it, her powers work well with his, as has been proven twice already: during the entrance exam and at the USJ.

Did he just choose her so that she can blind the opponents or is it because he knows how well their Quirk's go together? Bakugou's smart. He probably just doesn't want to admit it in front of everyone. Kira glances at her other teammates. Is it just a coincidence that they're the same people she was teamed up with during the battle exam? Or did Bakugou remember this and use it to his advantage? Kirishima, Sero and Kira were the perfect matchups during the battle exam, so it makes sense for Bakugou to choose them.

"Now this is what I call a team!" Kirishima yells, getting all excited.

"Yeah, you better not mess this up, you hear me!" Bakugou threatens, making his hand explode.

Their team prepare themselves, Bakugou clambering onto the back of Kirishima. He hardens himself slightly, making it easier to carry him. Kira covers the right side, at Bakugou's command, holding his right foot in her left hand. Sero covers the left.

All things considered, Kirishima's right - this is one hell of a team.

"Wouldn't it be best if we went after the smaller team's instead of the ten million?" Kira wonders, readying her Quirk in her right hand.