Chapter 79 - The Pile Up

~~~

Akira has a funny feeling churning in her gut, like something about the licensing exam is going to be different, maybe more difficult. For several weeks, ever since the hostage task, it's been mostly a series of written exams, kind of like the exams they'd do in normal classes. They mostly entailed scenarios and questioned them on how they would go about battling these situations. Some questions asked for full length explanations, others were a more 'tick the box' sort of answer.

There were a few physical tasks here and there, but they were mediocre training sessions, just tidying up their fighting skills and controlling their Quirks. Not to the extent that they would in their normal hero course lessons that they attend at UA.

Something was different today though - Kira's certain of it.

The bus took Akira, Bakugou and Todoroki to the training arena, where they gripped their suitcases and trudged up the steps to the building.

"Hold it," Aizawa commands and they all turn to him, Bakugou's foot paused on one of the steps. "You're training somewhere a little different today."

"Different?" Kira says.

"This way," he tells them, nodding his head to a space to the side of the building.

It was just Aizawa to accompany the three students this weekend, no Present Mic to play 'good cop'. Kira followed behind Bakugou in single file, Todoroki behind her as Aizawa led the way to a massive section cordoned off next to the training building. It was a bland, concrete space, just like the rest of the training grounds. The directors waited for them there along with some of the other schools - it seems they need to wait on a few more.

"Take your places," Aizawa orders, gesturing to a section of the courtyard.

"I wonder what we're gonna be doing," Kira mutters to no one in particular.

"Maybe it's time for another difficult challenge like last time," Todoroki replies, keeping his voice quiet too.

He must be referring to the hostage task they had to complete. "You think so?"

"Isn't it obvious?" Bakugou butts in on the discussion. "Of course we're doing another practical exam."

Kira frowns from Bakugou to Todoroki, then back to Bakugou again. "What makes you so sure?"

He turns his head down, glaring at her like she's stupid. "Why the hell else would we be standing here like a couple of idiots?" He sighs irritably, turning his whole body to her. "Look over there" - Kira turns to where he's gesturing - "see those guys? New, aren't they? They're not related to these... moronic judges. They're the bad guys that we're gonna fight."

"You might be right," Todoroki mumbles thoughtfully.

"I am."

Akira has to admit, she's a little surprised about Bakugou's sense of analysis. He's looked around the room and come to a reasonable conclusion. She didn't even notice the newbies on the other side of the courtyard until he pointed them out.

"Students!" The head judge bellows loudly to silence the chatter. "Glad to see you all again. I'm sure most of you would have managed to piece together what we might be doing today." He pauses, seemingly for dramatic effect. "Another practical!"

Bakugou huffs in victorious triumph next to her, crossing his arms over his chest with his suitcase trapped in between his ankles.

"Now that I can see all of our schools have arrived, time to get changed into your hero outfits," he adds. "When you've all returned, I'll explain the details of this certain practical. It's going to be... different than what you might assume."