Chapter 120 - The Worst Mistake She Ever Made

~~~

Rumours in schools spread like wildfires - news about class 1A throwing some type of live concert flew around UA in the span of a few days and the students were receiving all different types of backlash. Class 1B, excluding Monoma, were keen to witness their show, though they were equally competitive about their own upcoming performance. Still, it was a far better response than the other courses gave.

As Akira and her friends were walking through one of the courtyards of UA, minding their own business, discussing the upcoming concert, she couldn't help but overhear a rather distasteful opinion coming from somewhere to her right. She had stopped walking with her classmates, who continued onwards, lost in their ideas, to glare at the bickering duo - general studies. Bakugou had noticed them before she did, having stopped to also narrow his eyes at the smug pair. However, the words they spoke were true, so Kira had no reason to even argue back. Seems as though Bakugou also agrees with their attitude as even he doesn't even try to retaliate. His silence unnerved her.

"Class 1A from the hero course is doing a concert," one of the students from general studies says, his tone full of disgust. "And it's for us."

"Oh my God," the female responds. "Talk about egotistical. Do they think we're, like, dying to see them do some kind of dumb performance?"

"Well, yeah." He nods, like it's obvious. "We all know they're clueless. What did they do after getting attacked by villains? They went to a summer camp, where, of course, they got attacked again. We all know how that turned out."

"And we have to put up with the repercussions of their stupidity, even though it was their fault."

Kira watches the chattering duo, unashamed with how loud their talking, as if they want everyone around them to hear them speak the truth. Because that's what it is. That's why Kira's held her tongue instead of sticking up for herself like she wants to. Kira holds the blame of what happened that day close to her heart - it was her fault Bakugou couldn't escape that day, it was her fault that All Might and the other pro heroes had to save them. She's to blame for All Might's retirement. If she had just realised her mother was an imposter from the start, instead of willing her mother's change of heart to be true. She's so foolish and naïve.

Kira shares a glance with Bakugou and he appears furious, though he too holds back from yelling at the general studies students. Those thoughts overcrowd her mind and so she turns away from Bakugou, who still stands ten feet away from her, without uttering a word.

The words from those two from the general studies course stuck in her like knives. Every time she moved, every time her thoughts strayed, she would be suddenly reminded of the guilt and the blame weighing her down. All her decisions have had a grave impact, not just on herself, but her classmates, her friends, her teachers and now the other courses. Kira didn't even realise the grievances she's caused on others.

Kira decided to keep her head down, her gaze counting the cracks in the cobbled stone by her feet with each rushed step, catching up to her still bickering classmates who seem to be too lost in their ideals to even notice Kira's uncertainties.

When the school day ended, with Kira having exhausted most of her energy trying to block out the negative accusations from the other students, it was time for class 1A to decide on the final parts of their upcoming live show. As they all gathered in the living room of the dormitory, not including those who participated in the Shie Hassaikai raid, Iida was in charge of pulling together their ideas and boosting their morale.

"Well, first," Toru was saying as Kira shoved her troubles to the back of her mind to focus on what was important. "We need to pick out a song, right? What should we do?"