Chapter 139 - The Start Of Endeavour's Work Study

~~~

Kira's mind is clouded. New Year's Day has finally arrived, bringing a clear sky and an odd warmth, as if this new year promises greater changes to come. The snow has melted away entirely, not leaving a single trace of whiteness behind. It's as if it never even snowed in the first place. Shinso came to visit her on the fourth day and they both decided to simply spar, no Quirks involved. Kira just doesn't want to risk her Quirk consuming her, especially after what she recently discovered.

A friend she made, Kaori, has been murdered. Slaughtered by a potential enemy. Someone who knows about Kira. Well, she theories anyway. Kira doesn't have any proof to back up her assumptions and she doesn't want to involve anybody else. Not yet. Hopefully, Bakugou has forgotten about their slight promise. Though, he never seems to forget anything.

Bakugou never messaged her again after their conversation, but she doesn't hold it against him. After all, she never tried to message him either.

Kira looks down at their conversation from a few days ago, her head bouncing off the bus window as it trundles through the city streets. Her thumb swipes on the phone screen, her eyes scanning their shared words, their own private discussion, when the bus pulls to a stop in a quiet neighbourhood and a few people trade places on the vehicle.

Todoroki and Midoriya are sitting side by side behind Kira, chatting about what they plan to expect from Endeavour and his prestigious agency. Their convictions are clear in their conversation, their hopes and dreams tumbling from their lips. Bakugou is also present, though he's decided to take his seat in the other side of the bus, either glaring out the window or at anyone who dares to try and pinch the seat beside him.

Their work study is a week long course, where they will stay over at the agency with the other sidekicks.

Kira decides to tuck her phone in her jacket pocket and buries her chin into her purple scarf as the bus continues its journey, hissing as it resumes its slow drive. She's both eager to learn and nervous to meet the number one hero in person. There's both so much she knows about him and so little.

Kira and her classmates have been given a specific location to meet the pro hero and she's surprised that they're not just heading straight to his agency to meet him. It's a central spot, busy and crowded with city life. Not exactly secluded to start her work study. Still, Kira watches the world pass her by as the bus pulls up at another stop.

An individual wearing a long, dark coat steps onto the bus and Kira tenses. Ever since she saw the surveillance footage of the intended suspect, her senses have been on high alert, her heartbeat uneven, ready to protect herself against any sudden attacker. But, as the person wearing the long coat perches down on a seat on the other side of the bus, Kira forces herself to relax, breathing out heavily under her scarf. She can't assume that every person that decides to wear a long, dark coat is a potential criminal. That's no way to live.

As the bus continues once again, Kira braces her hero case from toppling over on the seat beside her. She's brought her school bag along too, packed with extra clothes and other essentials. This course is going to be tough, she knows that much, but she also doesn't really know what to expect. Kira keeps her hand on her case containing her hero outfit, as the bus nears their stop.

Kira presses the button for the bus to stop and she hops down. Endeavour is already here, standing aside impatiently and Kira finds herself standing a little straighter in the presence of the number one hero, though Todoroki and Bakugou both seem to be lacking that respect.

"Welcome to the Endeavour Agency," the pro hero announces, getting straight to business, before his features darken. "I can't believe I have to train you," he adds and Kira feels her posture slacken. "I gave my permission reluctantly as a favour to Shoto, but I wish he'd come on his own."