Chapter 36 - Her Unexpected Confession

~~~

After a couple more hours of intensive training, it was time for lunch. Kira's classmates complained about having to change back into their school uniform just for their lunch break, when they were going to continue their training straight afterwards. Aizawa chalked it up to 'school policy' or whatever. He may be the tough love kind of teacher, but Kira assumed he would at least be lenient about this.

Even so, Kira grabbed her tray of food and sat at one of the vacant tables in the hall, smoothing out her tie so it wouldn't land in her food. The other girls eventually joined her, Mina sat opposite with Tsu beside her. Momo chose to sit beside Kira on one side and Toru on the other. Kyoka came over last after getting caught in a conversation with Kaminari - she sat the furthest away next to Tsu.

"Where's Ochaco?" Kira questions, frowning around the hall.

"Chatting up her boyfriend, of course," Mina replies, picking at her food.

"What?"

Mina swings a lazy hand somewhere to the left and that's when she spots Ochaco sat on a nearby table with Midoriya, Iida and Todoroki. She's blushing at something Midoriya must have said, her cheeks flushed more than they usually are.

"No way," Kira gapes. "Am I the only one that didn't notice this?"

"Pretty much." Kyoka nods.

"Probably because you're too lost in the eyes of a certain red-head." Mina bats her eyelashes dramatically.

Kira has to fight the urge to whack her here and now. "You guys wouldn't have known about that if you didn't have the nasty habit of eavesdropping on other people's conversations."

"We had the sneaky suspicion that something was going on between you and Kirishima," Momo says from next to her. "You should have just come clean about it. That is what we're here for."

"I wasn't sure what's going on myself," Kira mumbles her reply. "I still don't."

"It's not too late to ask." Mina glances over somewhere to the right and Kira follows her gaze.

Kirishima and Kaminari seem to be locked in a pretty enthusiastic conversation as Kirishima uses his arms to emphasise whatever point he's trying to make. Sat opposite the pair is a very pissed off Bakugou - he seems to be trying to block out the chatty twosome and focus on his lunch.

Kira finds herself laughing at the sight. "I think we've discussed the importance of this hero course over our relationship," Kira decides to tell her friends. "First, I need to get my power under control. Only then... will something happen."

"Well." Mina glances at the red-head, then back to Kira. "Just to let you know, I'm rooting for you." She ends in a whisper, as the other girls nod in agreement.

Kira finally begins on her lunch, just as the megaphone rumbles around the school. "Can Katsuki Bakugou and Akira Kiriya please report to the staff office? I repeat: Katsuki Bakugou and Akira Kiriya to the staff office."

Kira spins her head around, as if searching for the source of the mysterious voice when she knows it's coming from a microphone. Her eyes eventually land on the table with the three boys and Bakugou looks even more peeved than before, if that were even possible. Kira catches Kirishima's eyes and he shrugs, whilst his expression portrays concern.

"I'll catch you later, I guess," Kira mutters, picking up her tray of untouched food.

She places it with the other dirty ones and pushes open the double doors into the corridor. In front of her, Bakugou had already left the lunch room, his hands in his pockets. She hesitates before sprinting to catch up with him. What could she say that wouldn't result in him losing his cool?